• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk Divider Board

mrsnicks

Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
1971 Plymouth Satellite. I'm going down the rabbit hole that is sound reduction. I'm using kilmat in the trunk floor and trunk lid. My question is about the trunk divider panel.

I know originally it was thin chip board/fiber board. I doubt it's sturdy enough to attach kilmat to.

Has anyone made their own from another material like plywood that would hold up to the installation of kilmat?

Thanks.
IMG_20240628_195550.jpgIMG_20240622_185535.jpg

I used 1/8" 6061 aluminum for the panel and Boom mat for the sound deadener. Spatter paint, no carpet...

DSCN0064.JPG

Aluminum sounds good…or maybe ABS, HDPE or polycarbonate? You can get sheets at Polymer Shapes (many local warehouses)

.100" aluminum fastened in with rivet nuts and 10-32 screws.
Mike
IMG_1449.JPG

For my street cars I just glue the foiled backed jute insulation to the divider board. My last town had upholstery shops that would sell me large, thick divider board blanks that I could custom fit. I suppose a thin piece of paneling cut to fit, and secured well, would hold the Kil-Mat in place.

My 71 was a drag car in it's previous life.
It still had the tin divider in the car when I bought it.
I kept it in the car as I kept the battery in the trunk.
Here's the divider.
Feb 23 (8).jpg

I covered it with Dynamat.
Dec 18&19&20 (3).jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back