• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to setup entire wiring harness minus engine.

Wcotner96

Local time
6:02 AM
Reaction score
Ok, I have a 1970 RR with a 440 in it(issues with motor) not relevant to this post.

Anyways I got a new bulkhead connector and female plugs and got everything wired back together. This is a new project car to me(non running for atleast 15years.)

When I first turned key to on the alternator guage bounced(charger hooked to battery) Engine is down to block basically. And the starter cranked with key. But I have nothing else. No lights,buzzers,brake lights. The relay would click about every 10 seconds with key in on position. Now I have nothing at all, no starter either.

Big post reads 15v while charging. Small post yellow wire reads 2volts and would jump to 12+ when cranking the key(starter would not crank) but the ground terminal also reads 2volts with the safety switch attached. I have no idea where to start. Any advice would be amazing. Thanks

Wes

IMG_1228.jpeg

From what you've posted the neutral safety switch is suspect. But that doesn't explain lack of power everywhere else.

From what you've posted the neutral safety switch is suspect. But that doesn't explain lack of power everywhere else.
thanks for the response. I was just trying to I guess check to see what does and doesn't work on the entire car, with the key in the on position, would nothing work if the NSS was bad? I probed the headlight switch connector(do not have the actual switch) and was getting full voltage as well as full voltage on two fuses in the glove box.

Dont know how you are hooked up with power. Any corrosion will cause this. One day my car worked next day it didnt. It was corrosion on my battery cable, it looked clean but was not.

Dont know how you are hooked up with power. Any corrosion will cause this. One day my car worked next day it didnt. It was corrosion on my battery cable, it looked clean but was not.
Appreciate it, I will go through all my connections. And double check everything.

1. With the engine ripped down, do you still have a ground strap from the engine to the body.
2. If you put power to the starter solenoid wire on the relay ,does the starter turn.
3. Does your relay case have a good ground to he body.
4. Are all the connections clean and wire terminal ends in good condition.
5. Ground the connection for the trans nss to see if that switch is bad.

I don't know about 70. But my car the fusible link wire comes off the big battery terminal on the relay. It supplies powered to the car. Check to see that it is good.

1. With the engine ripped down, do you still have a ground strap from the engine to the body.
2. If you put power to the starter solenoid wire on the relay ,does the starter turn.
3. Does your relay case have a good ground to he body.
4. Are all the connections clean and wire terminal ends in good condition.
5. Ground the connection for the trans nss to see if that switch is bad.

I don't know about 70. But my car the fusible link wire comes off the big battery terminal on the relay. It supplies powered to the car. Check to see that it is good.
1- yea I do have a strap from the block to firewall.
2- the starter does crank with key but in any gear
3- I cleaned up behind it so I would say yes
4- I did clean them all and had to add new terminals on some wiring.
5- I believe this is either not screwed in all the way or something is wrong because with the NSS attached to the relay it will not crank the starter at all. The G terminal on the relay is grounded to a bolt to a firewall

I probed the fuse box in the car and am getting full voltage. Most switches are getting power. The turn signal and hazard flashers are non existent so I ordered new ones. I’m assuming all the bulbs in the dash are burnt as the socket seems to get power aswell.

I guess I’m curious why the fuel guage may not be working? Rallye dash there’s the 5 wire prong style connection that doesn’t get any power it seems. Also probably no fuel(also does the engine need to be running to read fuel?

Auto Transport Service
Back