• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

trying to understand ride height adjustment.

Ray70Chrg

Local time
11:56 AM
Reaction score
The fsm for '70 charger on page2-4, step 3 states to measure from lowest point of one adjusting BLADE to the floor (measurement A). The picture shows a cut-away view of the LCA. I'm not understanding what that is. Secondly, the manual does not mention loosening the bolts to the LCA or jacking up the car to get the weight off the suspension as some have mentioned in the threads that I have read. I have recently replaced all the usual parts when rebuilding the front suspension and torqued everything to spec. while the car was supporting its weight. Would appreciate clarity on these steps. Thanks

I like to take the weight off of the adjusters and also measure from the frame and not the body.....

When setting the height I measured from the floor to the low point on the LCA. It's 9" in this pic. Make both sides the same.

The higher you set the ride height the less camber you'll get unless you're using the offset bushings.
20230922_142455.jpg

If you only change it a little you shouldn't have to loosen up the pivot bolt. Just remember that bolt holds tension on the rubber bushing and it will twist it if too much adjustment is made. That's why you want it loose before the final torque is made after setting your ride height with full weight on the suspension.

Anytime the front end is lifted with a jack, apon letting it back down you'll have to roll the car backwards and forward to settle the suspension. "Jounsting" or whatever the FMS calls it, doesn't always work on a concrete floor.

Last edited:
The manual doesn't say to lift the front end when adjusting height. When bolts are new and free from rust and dirt at the factory it won't harm them. For us 50+ years later it helps to wire brush and lube them and to raise the front end to have less load on the bolts. People have stripped them out.

Jounsting
Jouncing - should be done between adjustments - it allows the car suspension to settle into the new position.
It doesn't hurt to roll the car back and forth between jounces. :thumbsup:

Normal for the height to change after driving the car. It will go lower if anything, and maybe not the same on each side. So get it close and drive it. Jouncing is fine but usually not enough to end the changes in height.

It’s definitely a wiggle in adjustment to get it at the height you want and both sides sitting the same.

It’s definitely a wiggle in adjustment to get it at the height you want and both sides sitting the same.
Thinking about that, you can adjust the driver's side just a tic higher to make up for driver weight. Have someone your weight sit behind the wheel while you adjust. If you want to get things down to the gnat's azz.

Auto Transport Service
Back