• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TTI Headers in 65 Coronet

LR1970

Local time
2:06 PM
Reaction score
Hi, I am just asking what the best fitting headers for a 440 in a 65 Coronet. TTI are stating theirs fit. Lots of stories of Dougs, Hookers and Hedman headers not fitting 100%.
I am considering the TTI ceramic coated 2inch tube headers. I am worried they will arrive in Australia and don't fit.

I am also considering the repro max wedge exhaust manifolds.

I would like to hear anyone's experiences.

Thank you

Leigh

Last edited:
The max wedge manifolds will generate a lot of heat under the hood, causing fuel issues. They could be ceramic coated though.
Mike

I just installed a set of TTi 2" ceramic coated headers in my 69 Charger yesterday. I was worried about the large diameter pipes, but.... They fit like a glove! Best fitting headers I have ever had hands down.

I just installed a set of TTi 2" ceramic coated headers in my 69 Charger yesterday. I was worried about the large diameter pipes, but.... They fit like a glove! Best fitting headers I have ever had hands down.
Thanks for your reply.

The max wedge manifolds will generate a lot of heat under the hood, causing fuel issues. They could be ceramic coated though.
Mike
I have the MW manifolds on my '63, and as Mike said, they get Real Hot. I would definitely go the header route, and TTI's are a good choice, and fit Well, especially if matched to their complete exhaust system. They are designed for "stock" applications, so if you're using a different K-member, transmission mount, or rear end set-up, you may end up tweaking it some ?

The problem is that the engine is in a different place (k-member) in 62-65 b-bodies than in the later cars. I don't know if hooker, Hedman and Doug's take that into account. I know that TTI does.
Theoretically, the more common brands say they DONT fit 62-65 (66-up!) but I know of nobody that can categorically say why, or why not.
Also check out Padam's thread " bigger headers slower car." You might wanna rethink the 2" headers.

I agree with @33Imp, the TTI headers do fit well. I have them on my 63 Plymouth MW clone and are the 2 to 2 !/8 step headers, no problems. Also have the 1 7/8 TTI's on my 68 RR.
Note that if you're not making 600 HP or more a smaller tube should be considered. Additionally, if it is for a purely street driver, a smaller tube header will me just fine, as you are not running full bore at all times like a race car would be. JMO ruffcut

My 65 Belvedere with 383 has Doug’s headers. They fit no problem with no “adjustments”. I used TTI exhaust which also fit well with no problems. When you do that, you need to fabricate the short piece that goes from the header to the exhaust. TTI actually has instructions on their website on how to fabricate it.

When I put the 2" TTI's in my car, 15 years ago?, they were easy. Took a sawzall to the old headers, disconnected the battery, dropped the center link, can't remember if I dropped the starter out though. Lh side slipped up from below, rh dropped in from the top. Hook up the disconnected components. I also got the 3" system from them which fit great too but you need to follow the instructions as the assembly seems weird but its that way on purpose. Later on when I put a fresh FF stage 3 box in plus a new Pittman arm, I had to do the two hammer thump on one tube because the arm was different than what came off. It wasn't the fast ratio one but it was a little longer and the bend was a touch different. The headers were coated so thats why I laid one hammer on the marked area and used the other hammer to hit the one against the tube.

When I did my '65 Coronet with a 500 cubic inch stroker 440 based block and aluminum heads, I decided to use exhaust manifolds rather than headers. I selected Mopar Performance 452 aluminum heads because they are straight plugs. They were actually produced by Edelbrock. Manifolds require straight plugs. Anyhow, I installed '68-'69 Roadrunner manifolds. Had the exhaust bent up at a local exhaust shop. I supplied the turbo mufflers. All 2 1/2". That was about 20 years ago. My son still has the car and still has the same exhaust. Uses a "cream" coating on the manifolds once a year.
Headers would definitely have a performance advantage though.
Engine and 833 in factory location.
Just giving my experience not making any recommendations.

Thank you for the information and advice. The car has original K frame, mounts and steering. TTI offer a 1 -3/4 pipe, probably a better size for my engine build. I am aiming 450-500hp. TTI don't have a header to suit 65 with 1-7/8.

Thanks again

I'm using the 2" Doug's D452 in my '62 Dodge with no issues. No hammer required. The TTIs are very similar if not the same routing. I haven't heard anyone complain yet about either one in the early B bodies. It all depends on how much you want to spend. The thing you have to consider is if you have a B block or RB block. Doug's and TTI specify this.

IMHO...
The crucial factor for TTi headers(and other brands) to fit properly
is to be double sure that U have good motor mounts that are not sagging..

Just my $0.02... :thumbsup:

I have the Doug's D452 headers on my Savoy and they fit very well. I had to trim the lip off of the race bell housing for #6 tube and removed the grease fitting off the pitman arm as it was making contact on the drivers side lower tubes when turning.
After 10 years the finish is still pretty good except near the ports.

Gus

dougs.JPG

I have the Doug's D452 headers on my Savoy and they fit very well. I had to trim the lip off of the race bell housing for #6 tube and removed the grease fitting off the pitman arm as it was making contact on the drivers side lower tubes when turning.
After 10 years the finish is still pretty good except near the ports.

Gus

View attachment 1704906
I'm running Doug's on my 383 65 Coronet. Had to ding the right side for clearance, What I like about Doug's is that they don't hang down from other headers that I have found.

20240724_202126.jpg

Can't comment on a 440, but a friend of mine has a set of TTI's on his stroker Poly 390 (318). The fit well.

We have Hedman Hedders (that's how they spell it) on our 65 Coronet Wagon with a RB 500 stroker and Pro Comp heads. Also had them with our 383. They fit very well with no modifications. They are less expensive than the TTI. Mine are 1 7/8". 2" would never fit a 65 with Pro Comp style headers. Car is a race only vehicle, so no full exhaust.

Auto Transport Service
Back