• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn signal cancel cam, what am I doing wrong?

dspur

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:23 PM
Reaction score
Check the video and then pic of back of steering of steering wheel. What do I need to do? Also vid of new turn signal switch installed.

BTW this is the second switch purchased, first was junk and I’m not, for now anyway, willing to pay almost $500 for an oem. This one “seems” to be better quality.

Note: video links below.

iCloud Photos - Apple iCloud

IMG_3384.jpeg

IMG_3382.jpeg

Last edited:
You might check the pressed on steel switch actuator if it's sitting all the way down and clicked correctly. Especially, if the wheel was disassembled and put back together.

What is the actual problem?

Check the video and then pic of back of steering of steering wheel. What do I need to do? Also vid of new turn signal switch installed.

BTW this is the second switch purchased, first was junk and I’m not, for now anyway, willing to pay almost $500 for an oem. This one “seems” to be better quality.

Note: video links below.

View attachment 1710388

View attachment 1710389
Try an expert for advice: @Slantsixdan

I had the exact same issue with my new switch. The post on the back of the steering wheel wasn't making contact with the cams of the switch so it wouldn't cancel.
The post was too far towards the center of the column and was passing under the cams.
I had to heat and bend the cams in a little bit further in so the post would hit it.

Others have put a small piece of hose over the post, making it fatter so it would then contact the cams.

You might check the pressed on steel switch actuator if it's sitting all the way down and clicked correctly. Especially, if the wheel was disassembled and put back together.

What is the actual problem?
Per the video, when turning right moving the wheel to the right cancels the switch instead of when the wheel turns back left.
When turning left it works normally.

Per the video, when turning right moving the wheel to the right cancels the switch instead of when the wheel turns back left.
When turning left it works normally.
Sounds like the switch is working but the round metal thing is not centered between the 2 cams.

That cancel tang on the back of the steering wheel should be opposite the screw that holds the switch in place, when the wheel is installed. If not, the tang can be moved.

Turns out I wasn’t doing anything wrong. The switches you buy now are junk. Absolute junk imho. I put my old one on and it works perfectly. Just a bit corroded and I will have to splice wires etc. I am cleaning it up and will test it electrically, but prefer to buy an oem (not at $500) or a known good quality one.

Auto Transport Service
Back