• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

turning a 1972 SE side window into a triangular side window

Neal Zimmerman

Local time
8:54 PM
Reaction score
OK, so I listened to you guys and I am passing on that 71 Charger with the missing VIN and title, Talking to the guy I wasn't getting a good vibe. Anyhow Ive moved on.
Theres a 72SE project car not too far away for 6k. Original motor is gone, has a 383 in it. Oh well
But my real question is can one easily remove the SE side window plug and make it the more (IMO) attractive triangular side window version? I know its just a plug because
I sawa 72SE in a junkyard once with no vinyl roof or paint and I was like " Oh so that's how they did it." Sure you could get the plug out , but what's next. I have a feeling there's a rain gutter/trim problem attached to this
Anybody here ever done this, or am I just nuts
Neal

It can be done- it's not something you want to do, find a base model instead of WP29, and the base cars are out there. I love coke bottle Chargers, and they were the most successful Charger in competition.

You have to unlead the outside. The interior has to be completely absolutely, dead solid every last piece removed to have work space. You will need the interior from from the base to changeover the plug. I have seen them changed to make a 71-72 look like a 73-74 rear quarter glass.

I like them all.

I have 8 or 9 71's and 72's that I bought to have parts for my 72. I love my 72.

I have the sales sheet from the dealer that sold it as a spring special near Pendleton NC. Have the broadcast sheet, the engine and transmission are #'s matching. A GI bought it and he brought corn liquor, white(sugar) liquor, apple brandy, and he brought Stroh's by the case there at Fort Jackson SC. Someone who remembered the car contacted me on now obsolete but barely operational Mopar forum- I know he wasn't lying because he had pictures of the car filled with liquor on Fort Jackson and he knew the name and rank at discharge of the original owner. This attached is a 2 owner car. I have replaced the HiJackers on it in these pictures- I wish I could still get a couple extra sets.

I'm not lazy, I'm glutton for punishment, and I'm stupid- but before I did what you are contemplating, I would just buy a base model WM21 WL23 or WM or WH so long as it is a 21 or 23 over a WP29 and then double what you have in the WP29 trying to convert the window plug. You would end up with $12k-$15k in car you could pickup for $3000-$8000 already as you want.

If you want the hideaways, just buy a bumper and the hideaways and add it to a base.

1972 (1).JPG

1972 (2).JPG

1972 (3).JPG

It can be done. Otuside is just about remove the filler plug, but then also extend the drip rails, get the moldings from a donor (if wished ) and get the weatherstrips kit.

Inside will require a donor for parts or… fortunatelly nowdays there are reproductions for sail panel and upper “door” panel. Will still meed to get a donor for the roof liner side trims.

73/74 SEs are a bit more complex and harder to do conversion. A lot of more parts involved to get from donors

Yes, the drip rail is the largest obstacle.

The drip rail is sandwiched between the roof skin and the window channel, making it extremely difficult to remove, replace, add to, etc.

The trim is different and an incredible bitch to remove, even if you just wanted to hack weld an extension on the end of the drip rail.

The good news- the window is the same.

On 72 SE's, most if not all had full vinyl tops.
They should not have lead from the factory.
Full vinyl cars got filler similar to bondo in place of the lead that went into cars with any metal exposed on the roof to quarter seam.

More good news- that full top trim is valuable as a used part (at least the outer sections).

Be super careful not to break the corner "check mark" molding pot metal tabs or mount pin, they are very brittle and extremely easy to break, and often have super tight, corroded nuts on the pin.

oh geez, am I up for this? I might just keep this 72se in my back pocket and keep looking.

I had pictures years ago of someone that had done it, some suggested I should do it since the body was stripped down but couldn't bring myself to do it because of the history I had with it as is. Some people also go with the 71 style side markers.

I always liked the 72 SE quarter window. My grandparents bought a really cool one. Nicely optioned.

Grandma with 72 Chrager SE Utica.jpg

DO NOT EVER MESS WITH A CAR THAT HAS NO VIN AND NO TITLE.

NOT EVEN ONCE.

It used to be something that was tolerated with E-bodies because ChryCo screwed the pooch and made the VIN so easy to toss with the dash. I had a 72 'Cuda with no VIN but I had fendertag, broadcast sheet, sales sheet, and it had original paint and the door striker sticker- which meant NC said screw it and issued a title in the original VIN instead of riveting an NC Scarlet Letter. That was 28 years ago. Now ? I'd stand 50/50 for getting prosecuted depending on the mood of the DMV/DMR/SHP- the best case would be a "SALVAGE RECONSTRUCTED" Title. In another part of NC it can be entirely different but that is what I deal with.

Did the OP say the car he was working on had no title?

I'm not a big fan of the 72 only SE only small quarter window either.
I also HATE vinyl tops.

...but my 72 SE is one of 503 built with a 400 4 barrel and a 3.23 sure grip axle.

Grrrrr

...but...it is so far gone sheet metal wise, that it's borderline not worth doing anything to in a "back to stock" way.

...but...the uni-body is very solid.

Grrrrr

Somewhere I have pictures of the
Did the OP say the car he was working on had no title?
I'm referring to the 71 he considered. I'm just saying for posterity- No Vin, No Title(Mainly No VIN) - No Tickee, No Washee.... NEVER EVER BUY A CAR WITH NO VIN AND NO TITLE was the wisdom I meant to impart.

He walked on it. He made the smart move.

I know a guy from Alabama who sold Pontiacs on Ebay. He had a bad tiff with a guy who didn't read or look at the condition of the $2000 Pontiac GTO. So... The guy who was angry about the condition of a $2000 1969 GTO kept watching his auctions. Paul, the guy from Alabama sells a 1966 Pontiac GTO he has paperwork(tag receipts which serve as registration), several pictures and rubbings of #'s stamped into the body, the firewall tag, but no Vin, No Title(AL- 1976 and back ? No title needed.) 1969 GTO Guy reports Paul to the Feds, the whole Vermont thing had gone down where a lot of Vermont titles were being redflagged, and the gubamint wanted to make an example. Paul ended up with about 12 years to be served consecutively not concurrently. Federal time- he'll do every day. I think he is 2-3yrs in, he was popped when Vermont titles became worthless, how long ago did NICS redflag them, and a couple states red flagged them and title and car go bye-bye, in some cases just title.

These are just a couple of the 71 and 72 Chargers I bought- this where they were...

cars 006.jpg

cars 007.jpg

cars 008.jpg

cars 009.jpg

cars 014.jpg

cars 016.jpg

cars 017.jpg

cars 018.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back