• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two different issues

ky509

Local time
12:49 PM
Reaction score
I am re-doing the mechanical issues on a 1965 Plymouth I bought to re-store. Just after doing a ton of work on the fury I found a really nice restorable 69 superbee. So now I am finishing up the mechanics on the fury so I can get r sold and concentrate on the Bee. I have a couple issues on the fury that i an in need of some help.

1st. It had a heater core leaking. I pulled it and bought a new unit to install. But as I was re-installing the heat and a\c unit I noticed that the front dash board speaker is shot. Believe me it is far better to put this speaker in with the heater unit out of the car so I want to do it for the next owner. Does any one know of some one selling new 4 x 10 front speakers for the Fury? I have looked and looked on the net with out any luck. Everything I find is modern stuff with all kinds of updated crap that may not work with the old AM radio. I want a factory plain jane speaker compatiable to the stock radio.

2nd issue: I went to start the car yesterday and it would not fire up. I found the problem to be a bad condensor inside the distributor. I replaced it with a used one and she fired right up. However, while I was inside the distributor I fond that it was one of the dual point designs. The points were in great shape so I set the gaps. But, This car was an original 2bbl carburetor car. It has a numbers matching 383ci low deck engine. Did these 2bbl 383ci engines come with dual point distributors? The numbers off this dist. is as follows

On the metal tag there are two different pieces of identification. The top row reads like this ( Chrysler 24443) then below that ( 1 BS-4006-J-504)

Note, this is also a vacuum advance type distributor where as the front of the vacuum pod un-bolts and you can either add or remove washers from the spring inorder to adjust the rate of advance. This is really a nice unit but it looks to me as if it should be in some ones high performance engine and not on a bone stock engine. Again I have googled these numbers all over the net with absolutly no luck. Any help with these problems will be appreciated.

Thank You
Ed

A Hollander Interchange book might help....?

Thanks Cranky.

I`ll see if I can find one. Salvage yard may have one.

The 383 2bbl did not come with a dual point distributer.Your # 1 BS-4006-J-504 distributor is 64/65 HP and Police package,someone changed it,the vacuun advance is correct.

Speakers can be reconed, and I have had 2 done recently. BUT my speaker guy has run out of 4x10 cones and says they are getting hard to get. I had asked him to check his sources. Check around your area for similar sor t of businesses.
I do have a speaker or two out of 68 / B bodies and they look good and would work. very slight attachment mod needed

I should have a stock 383 1965 alum distributor. cheap

The speaker impedence is the key to replacement. If you can find a speaker rating the same as yours you can use it. The area on the bracket for the speaker magnet is usually stamped with impedence in ohms. Look for that and an audio store should be able to help you out.

The 383 2bbl did not come with a dual point distributer.Your # 1 BS-4006-J-504 distributor is 64/65 HP and Police package,someone changed it,the vacuun advance is correct.

Thank you. This car was a barn find from farm country. Elderly couple owned it. About the only explanation must be that thes people some time must have had trouble with the original distributor and some mechanic swaped it out for the dual point. Everything else was factory original before I go it.

I`m going to ask around and see if I can find a single point unit cheap and hang on to this one.

Anyhow, I thank you for the info.

The speaker impedence is the key to replacement. If you can find a speaker rating the same as yours you can use it. The area on the bracket for the speaker magnet is usually stamped with impedence in ohms. Look for that and an audio store should be able to help you out.

Thanks for the info. I am clueless when it comes to audio stuff. I`ll look for the info on my old speaker.

Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back