• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UNISTEER Performance Products Rack and Pinion Kit Question

Slant 6 Music

Local time
9:24 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone else have this product installed in their car? I have a 72 RR 4 sp (GTX gone!) that had this kit installed. My real question is whether this kit limits the amount of turning circumference? I have a hard time turning into a driveway and have to let the other car go first. Y turns for everything. Car came with it, so other than the instructions, I know nothing about this kit. Uses stock K member. Drives very straight and is nice and responsive, but the lack of turning diameter is a little bothersome and maybe dangerous. If this is the way this thing works, I'd rather have it back to stock!

Maybe I just need to find a good suspension shop to dial it in?

Don't bother finding a suspension shop... Turning radius is one of many common complaints about the unisteer... If that's the only problem you've noticed either your lucky or you don't have high expectations...

Like I've always said, if she don't meet your expectations... Lower them..

My real question is whether this kit limits the amount of turning circumference? I have a hard time turning into a driveway and have to let the other car go first. I have to make multi-point turns for everything. Drives very straight and is nice and responsive, but the lack of turning diameter is a little bothersome and maybe dangerous. If this is the way this thing works, I'd rather have it back to stock!

That was exactly why many people chose not to buy it. The on center response is great but the turning radius is horrible. Bump steer was reported to be a problem too.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know how high my expectations are, but they are definitely higher than how it is setup. Looks like back to stock is best or pay big bucks and get the QA1 or whatever stuff. Think I'll stay stock. Now I need to find a new steering shaft and pump I think. Apparently you cut off the shaft to make this kit fit.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know how high my expectations are, but they are definitely higher than how it is setup. Looks like back to stock is best or pay big bucks and get the QA1 or whatever stuff. Think I'll stay stock. Now I need to find a new steering shaft and pump I think. Apparently you cut off the shaft to make this kit fit.
You need a steering box anyway... Consider the Borgeson box.... Your gonna need a drag link, pitman arm, idler arm & tie rods...

Auto Transport Service
Back