• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upgrading wiring - need a second set of eyes please

Local time
9:34 AM
Reaction score
71 Sebring. Had the car since 16, family has had it since 72. My Dad had converted it to electronic ignition when I started driving it and we dropped in a 360 as well. A/C has been removed (possibly a future project to add it back). Factory alternator, Accel coil, nothing fancy. No stereo, electric fans, ect... Went into the Air Force for nearly 26 years and unfortunately lost touch with the hobby so I'm behind on my knowledge. I'm in the process of stripping the engine bay to replace the wiring. I pulled out the engine harness already and labeled where every wire went.

I'm going to what I would consider a factory electronic ignition setup for the time period. For that reason I have purchased:

-HU284B dash harness from Year One (M&H wiring) Dodge & Plymouth, B-Body Except Rally Gauges
-HU229N engine harness from Year One (M&H wiring) Dodge & Plymouth, B-Body 340 C.I. With Electronic Ignition
-Blower motor wiring, neutral safety switch wiring, and wiper motor wiring (all M&H through Year One)...not important to this discussion but just wanted to show I'm putting the money in what I think is good solid wiring.
-4 prong ballast resistor.........currently has a 2 prong ballast which what it came with when it had points.

So, here's where I need a 2nd set of eyes. Am I missing anything? Anything I should look out for? Seems pretty cut/dry but just asking. I'm thinking as long as M&H didn't wire anything funky (will perform my own continuity checks before throwing the juice to it) it should fire right up...maybe fire isn't a good word but you know what I mean.

Thanks all!

Just remember look at the new and old to see if wire colors are same. Once on a dash harness 2 wires were switched. M&H is plug and play,cant go wrong. JMO. Some dash harnesses will have extra wires so dont freak out.

Good tip. Thanks! I plan to temporarily connect the dash and engine harness before installing it in the car to make sure everything looks right and ohm's out correctly before putting it in permanently.

Auto Transport Service
Back