• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upsidedown leafs

Koronetti70

Local time
5:01 AM
Reaction score
Hello. I have a "problem" with my b body wagon's rear springs.

I replaced tired factory installed leafs with brand new heavy duty leaf springs on my '70 Coronet wagon. I also installed air shocks. The stance is good. Actually the same as with the original springs. But the arch still turns upsidedown even with the air shocks full. If you know what I mean. I'll post a pic later.

What have you done to make the springs handle the weight of the wagon? Is re-arching the (brand new?!) springs the only option?

Aren't all wagon leaf springs heavy duty?

I just replaced the leaf springs on my 64 wagon, 7 leaves from the factory, 7 leaves from Espo's.

Do you have any pictures of the issues? I'm wondering if the springs are dead or there is a mounting/structural problem happening.

I'm a little late with the picture and don't know if you can see the problem.

IMG_20240603_180105778_HDR.jpg

Looks fine to me. Is that with the shocks filled up? If so, what do they look like with no air in the shocks?

I had to look at mine, the spring appears to be going up from the view in front of the tire.
Like an optical illusion, goes up at the front, and up at the rear, so maybe it appears like it is arched the other way?
Best pic I can get at the moment, but the spring is arched correctly.

Can you get a pic with the tire off and the rear on stands or a jack?

Wagon spring.png

I took some shots of my two cars. 65 with XHD springs I bought from Firm Feel, still new with no road time. 67 wagon with re-arched, by PO in the 2000's, with unknown mileage on them and regular shocks. Both sets are 6 leaf units and look close to what you're showing.

IMG_5016.jpeg

IMG_5017.jpeg

IMG_5018.jpeg

IMG_5019.jpeg

The best performance comes with springs that are flat or have a slight arch.
Keep in mind that the mounts are supposed to be lower in the front than the rear. From the side, the springs look like a that are sliding downhill slightly. This was done to aid steering and stability.

Looks fine to me. Is that with the shocks filled up? If so, what do they look like with no air in the shocks?
I think these were taken with the shocks filled. Doesn't really change that much.

Yes, I know. But the curve of the spring is upside down. At least in front of the axle.
If they don't have any "arch" they are weak and need replaced. Contact ESPO Springs and Things. They will be the last set you have to install on that car.

I had to look at mine, the spring appears to be going up from the view in front of the tire.
Like an optical illusion, goes up at the front, and up at the rear, so maybe it appears like it is arched the other way?
Best pic I can get at the moment, but the spring is arched correctly.

Can you get a pic with the tire off and the rear on stands or a jack?

View attachment 1675015
I could try next week.

Okay. Here's the deal. The first HandCAD drawing is how I think the leaf should be and how it is in our other b-bodies. The second pic (exaggerated) is how the leaf is in the wagon.
IMG_20240613_182927969~2.jpg

IMG_20240613_182934840~2.jpg

Since shipping is going to be a killer for these, you may want to check with places that work on big trucks. There may be someone closer to you who could possibly make you a set of springs. Big trucks need springs replaced periodically.

Auto Transport Service
Back