• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve spring compressor

sc440

Local time
9:19 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone here homemade a valve spring compressor? One the mounts to the head, care to share a picture

My homemade tools, at least some of them.
The big c-clamp has done 800 lb springs. The lever style is made from a gutted stock rocker arm, the center taken out so it presses on the retainer. I don't think it will work on a roller spring , but I've used it on solid flat tappet springs.

20230412_143805.jpg

I have one I made similar to post #3. I used an old rocker arm & welded a length of 3/4" pipe onto the area above the p'rod socket [ for leverage ]. Have one for shaft & stud mount heads. Can remove springs with engine in the car.

I have made this tool for change valve spring when your engine is still in the car. Have done 4-5 valve spring swaps and work good even with " harder " springs.

3CF7B63E-E9E7-424D-A221-FDB50B9BCC58.jpeg

E8A029CE-6B7A-4DBE-AB2D-33755C80C412.jpeg

i do have a short video . but i'm too dumb to figure out how to up load it ...

similar to Mala's
i made out of an old hacksaw handle and some scrap steel i had , modeled after the one comp cams sells ...

1687208163683.png

1687208189538.png

Here's a pic of one that is not homemade but would be easy enough to make.
20170411_052425.jpg

Mine was fashioned after an old compressor made by Moroso way back in the day that a friend of mine had. I actually called Moroso about it and all the guy could say is that it only had a 4 digit part number and he never heard of it. Works great on big block and small block heads. The handle can be repositioned to clear anything.

Spring Compressor.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back