• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Want to convert 65 Satellite tail lights to LED

ilm65

Local time
9:43 PM
Reaction score
What is required to convert my tail lights to LED? I bought white LED bulbs that are compatible with the standard sockets, but only the running lights burn--stop lights don't illuminate at all. Checked everything and wound up putting the incandescent bulbs back in.

Last edited:
Did the same thing ... there's a voltage reducer that is needed since the LEDs use such low voltage to operate. Not sure where you can find them off hand but they are around in abundance.

LED Tail Lights

Bump--Still looking for as much information as possible. My thanks to Stumper.

Never heard of that issue, but am pretty interested see what people have to say...
Is there a specified Brake/turn signal type of LED bulb vs. stationary? Meaning a standard brake/turn signal bulb has two filament's, does an LED bulb of that nature need some sort of resitor or chipset to identify multiple sources?

I've also looked into upgrading to the LED's, but after reading SlantSixDan's thread on LED lighting i'm seriously starting to question that idea.

LED Tail Lights

Thanks Propwash; I found Dakota Digital www.dakotadigital.com makes simplified conversion kits for G.M. and Ford--no Mopars yet. If you look at their website, I'm thinking many of those can be adapted to our applications. Mine, in particular, is very similar to the 65 Chevelle application (one fixture, similar size lens, similar housing for mounting).

LED Tail Lights

Hey Propwash;
I haven't purchased anything from Dakota Digital yet--I'm considering the 65 Chevelle kit but want to check out its adaptability before I spend the $169.
I'll let you know what I find since we're both interested in lighting up the rear end of these cars. Bob

Hey Propwash;
I haven't purchased anything from Dakota Digital yet--I'm considering the 65 Chevelle kit but want to check out its adaptability before I spend the $169.
I'll let you know what I find since we're both interested in lighting up the rear end of these cars. Bob

Hey thanks Bob....Appreciate it buddy! And anytime you want me to babysit that 65' for a week or two, let me know. I have no problems with that...LOL

LED Tail Lights

I'm bumping this thread--still need ANY advice on doing this--HELLLLP!

I don't know much about the conversion kit but I know something about LED's. Basically you can get an LED from Radio Shack and hook it up to a power source but you must pay attention to the polarity and have a resistor in series with the device. The cathode (K) goes to the negative (or ground) and the anode is hot. They only need about 5V or less to operate and very little current so I think about a 500 - 1K ohm 1/4 watt resister will be enough.

LED Tail lights

Thanks Meep-Meep, every bit of information is helping; Bob

LED Lights

Bob,

A friend of mine recently went through the led conversion with his 57 Nomad and ran into the same situation - the leds current draw is so small that the flasher unit really doesn't feel the current draw and doesn't work correctly. There was some advice about wiring the flasher backwards, but the best fix is to install matched components made especially for leds and things will work out just fine. The front and rear directionals will have to match - either leds or regular lights.

Arland

I just read the solution yesterday, in the new June Mopar Action on page 8 tech topics. Rick has come up with a new solution. Along with the obvious LED tail lights you need to buy an "electronic flasher that is specifically designed to be load-insensitive". These flashers have an additional pigtail wire that has to be grounded and are polarity sensitive. Check your Mopar Action mag for the hole story.
Paul

LED Tail light conversion

Thanks 66 Coronet--I'll check it out. I knew if I posted this question on FBBO, I'd eventually get good advice. Thanks again, Bob

LED Tail Lights

For anyone else following this post, I found THE website that'll solve our problems: Check out superbrightleds.com They explain the problem, the fix, and offer all the items necessary to make the conversion. Thanks to all who responded--now go make our old mopars SAFER!!!

I had a similar problem in my '73 charger. My issue was the soldering on the bulb shaft to the circuit board itself would not allow the bulb to fully fit into the socket. I bought them from recon and super bright, both had the same problem. Had to get out the dremel to make them fit right.

(just in case other people ran into fitment problems. I BROKE a bulb off in the socket trying to get it seated, but it was about .5mm off and would NOT fit without the shaving)

Auto Transport Service
Back