• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Water in the oil pan....weird

Krooser

Local time
2:30 AM
Reaction score
Alrighty ...

I have been working on assembling the 318 that's going in my 65 Coronet.

Tonite I Installed the oil slinger and felt seal that goes in front of the slinger.

Installed the fuel pump. Lubed the pushrods on each end and reinstalled the rocker shafts.

All went well.

So I took an hour break at 11 PM. Came back out to the shop a few minutes ago. Thought I might as well test fit the new oil pan.

Spun the engine on its back and pulled the four oil pan bolts .... And I find water in the pan!!!

I mean about a quart pouring out of of the block!

#2+4+6 pistons are filled with water .

This engine never sat outside since I owned it. I had the pan off of this motor two months ago...no water anywhere.

It's an oil and water mix. Never got near any water. The block was dry when I installed the freeze plugs yesterday.

I never poured any oil into the engine except for a little assembly lube squirted on the camshaft and lifters.

I'm stumped. WTF?

Look at the video...what a mess.

Last edited:
I would first ask the question
as to wether this is the first
time the engine was rotated
belly up since installing it
on the engine stand?
Second question would be,
are you sure it's water?
(is there any evidence of
rust in 2,4,or 6?).
It could be solvent that
settled in the block below
the freeze plugs used during
the block machining.
I've seen this happen a time
or two when the shop
loses track of the process.

I would first ask the question
as to wether this is the first
time the engine was rotated
belly up since installing it
on the engine stand?
Second question would be,
are you sure it's water?
(is there any evidence of
rust in 2,4,or 6?).
It could be solvent that
settled in the block below
the freeze plugs used during
the block machining.
I've seen this happen a time
or two when the shop
loses track of the process.
This is an engine built 10/17/73....never been a part.

My friend Tracey bought it out of an 80's Dodge that was going to the scrap yard.

I bought it late last year after I acquired my '65 Coronet. I removed the oil pan to check the bearings and to try to repair the damage to the oil pan...the engine looks like it was dropped on its pan at some point.

It's been on my engine stand for about 8 months months. Been rotated around a dozen times.

The intake is off and the pan was, too. Was as clean as you could expect from a 51 year motor....actually cleaner. No sludge no varnish.

I guess I will clean up the mess inside the pistons (grey sludge from water/oil mix) and the lower end of the block. I have a new oil pan.

After it's running I'll change the oil after I'm sure all the crap can be drained away.

I paid $100 for this piece. After spending that much for a running engine I didn't expect to have any issues!!!

Screenshot_20240620_100016_Gallery.jpg

In 1970 a buddy rebuilt the 440 from his 67 X and well, he did something wrong and it chucked a rod so he bought what was supposed to be a running 383 just so he could use the car for going back and forth to work. Well, that 383 puked probably a gallon of water before the oil came out lol. He filled it up with fresh oil and a new filter and ran it. No problem at all with it. I was there when he drained it and asked him if he was going to pull the pan to check it and he just said nope lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back