• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weatherstripping for 4dr Sedan

cal30_sniper

Local time
2:46 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone done weatherstripping on a 71-79 4dr before? I’m 99% sure nothing is reproduced, but I’m looking for pointers on either something universal someone has used, or another Mopar body seal that is reproduced that can be used.

1. Door to body seals: this seems pretty easy to just use a universal stick on weatherstrip around the doors.

2. Window sweeps: looks like van sweeps are reproduced for 60s and 70s models. I wonder if they’re close enough to use?

3. Glass channel felt: some other body style or universal felt that can be used? (I’ve used universal felt on my suburban tailgate channel in the past).

Picked up a super clean 69k mile 74 Satellite for a daily. It’s rust free, straight, and drives great, but it’s a Mojave desert car with absolutely shot weatherstripping.

F32CCBB2-B86B-4606-B03E-5E32D31B68B6.jpeg

1) Door to body, maybe check to see if they're reproduced for the earlier four doors, or the post two doors.
2) I'd look at 71-74 Charger/Satellite two doors. They'd be long, but could be cut down.
3) Again, I'd look to the same group of earlier cars.

I have both a '71 Coronet (four door, basically the Dodge version of your car) and a '71 Satellite two door. I'll see if I can make some comparisons on the window sweeps.

Unless you want 100% original there are thing you can do. I know nothing about the 70's cars but is the weatherstrip around the door or on the body? Window sweeps can be bought without clips, cut to length and then drilled and screwed on. The screws go deep into the fuzzys and never contact the glass. I did that on my 63 4 door.
IF the door seals are on the pinch weld of the body,I bought door seals for a 88 Dodge Ram pickup. 2 sets were less than $40 at rock auto and will do all 4 doors. I did 3 of my cars a 64 Dart a 68 Valiant and a 63 Belvedere

IMG_1992.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

Unless you want 100% original there are thing you can do. I know nothing about the 70's cars but is the weatherstrip around the door or on the body? Window sweeps can be bought without clips, cut to length and then drilled and screwed on. The screws go deep into the fuzzys and never contact the glass. I did that on my 63 4 door.
IF the door seals are on the pinch weld of the body,I bought door seals for a 88 Dodge Ram pickup. 2 sets were less than $40 at rock auto and will do all 4 doors. I did 3 of my cars a 64 Dart a 68 Valiant and a 63 Belvedere

View attachment 1693458

View attachment 1693459

Yeah, no real concerns with originality.

I’ve seen those screw in window sweeps before. I think I’ll take a look and see if the 2dr sweeps can be cut down first, but that’s a good backup option (I’ve done the staple in sweeps for door panels before, which aren’t too bad).

I’ll take a look at what the earlier b-body window channel stuff looks like. Might be real close.

The door to body seals are on the door on these. They use the “windlace” on the body side at the pinch weld, which is reproduced. I was thinking about some of the generic stick on weatherstrip for the doors, cut and glued at a 45 degree where the top corners of the door make a sharp bend.

Back when I had my '73 wagon, I forget where I saw them, Year One? Steele Rubber Products?

Anyways, they had door weather strip for the more popular '68 - '70 wagons. The doors are basically the same shape but the window felts were different due to the older B's having wing windows.

I never pulled the trigger, but it was the closest I could find.

Auto Transport Service
Back