• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well at least I got to drive it a day before the water pump started to leak.

OneWheelPeel

Local time
8:53 AM
Reaction score
Yesterday was the first day I really drove around town to start shaking out issues and it went great! So great that I took it to cars and coffee this morning, and right away someone pointed out a leak. It looks to be coming from behind the water pump pulley so I think the writing is on the wall there but I'll dig in later to be sure.

Since new parts are kind of hit or miss nowadays in 2024 whats the consensus on regular parts store water pumps vs the fancier aftermarket brands?
I don't mind paying a little more if its a really good pump, especially if I can just transfer it to a 360 down the road.

Are all older pre magnum 318 water pumps the same?

Yesterday was the first day I really drove around town to start shaking out issues and it went great! So great that I took it to cars and coffee this morning, and right away someone pointed out a leak. It looks to be coming from behind the water pump pulley so I think the writing is on the wall there but I'll dig in later to be sure.

Since new parts are kind of hit or miss nowadays in 2024 whats the consensus on regular parts store water pumps vs the fancier aftermarket brands?
I don't mind paying a little more if its a really good pump, especially if I can just transfer it to a 360 down the road.

Are all older pre magnum 318 water pumps the same?
Nope. Cast iron up to '69 and switched to Aluminum in '70 up so depending on the year of what you have there now. The water pump pullies are different between the 2 so that why I stated that cause may end up having to change other stuff with a "different" pump....

Get a FlowKooler water pump.
Thanks, looks like this one is the ticket:
1701 1957-1970 MOPAR Dodge Plymouth 273 318 340 350 water pump

so you have had good experience with this brand?
Nope. Cast iron up to '69 and switched to Aluminum in '70 up so depending on the year of what you have there now. The water pump pullies are different between the 2 so that why I stated that cause may end up having to change other stuff with a "different" pump....
Thanks for pointing that out, looks like I have the cast iron one that then goes to another aluminum housing.

WP1.jpg

Yes, had it on my 383 for about 6 years now, no issues and made a big difference.

Auto Transport Service
Back