• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Well last weekend didn't go well. Update: last night didn't either

dvw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:07 PM
Reaction score
My son and I went down to Columbus for the NSS Bash. He wanted to do some carb testing. So we got there Friday for T&T. The carb changes worked on the leave. But that created wheel spin. Took a few passes but some shock adjustment cured it. He had made a air pan to seal the carbs to the scoop. Long story short the car hated it. Lost 3 mph. So the pan will be an experiment for another time. This was an index race so he was tring to slow to 10.0 and myself to 9.25. Second pass the wheelie was higher than normal even with the added weight. It was caused by the rear wheelie bar lock pin falling out. Not sure how that could've occured. Replaced both pins with grade 8 bolts and nuts. The wheel is off a little so it'll get a suspension and alignment check. We kept adding weight in mine all the way up to 272 lbs. Still to quick. So with one qualifier left we switched it to 9.00. Couldn't get there, 9.06. Pulled out every once of weight for rd 1. Weather got worse, car fell on its face, I rolled it in to deep, red lighted. Everything that couldve gone bad did. My son faired better Qualifing at 10.02 on both qualifiers. He won the first 2 rounds. Then on the way up for rd #3 the left front tire is nearly flat. We scrammble for and air pump and plug kit. Then discover the sidewall is split. Quickly back to the pits we swap the front tire off my car to his. Just make it to the lanes in time. They both have good lights. His car is on a good pass. Then Bang Bang Bang from the engine in high gear. It's nearly midnight, we're done. Sunday morning pull the rocker covers. Find a broken #5 exhaust rocker. We concentrate on my car for for Sunday. Going back to 9.25. One qualifier and it stumbles to a 9.30. We find 2 loose connections at the MSD box. RD #1 still stumbles (330 time is off .10) but manage with a .018 light to take a .0005 stripe. Rd#2 is a bye, another 9.30 with a huge bog. In the pits we search and find nothing. Take all the weight out hoping even with the bog it'll run close to 9.25. I cut a decent .028 and then it starts bucking beyond the 330. I look down it has zero fuel pressure. My day is done as well. Got home at 10:30 Sunday. Monday put brakes and a hub bearing on my sisters car. Got the converter swap nearly complete on a friends racecar. And had time to remove and disassemble the fuel pump. It's pretty chewed up so the spare is on and it's being sent out for a rebuild. Strange the pump didn't affect the top end on any run except the last one. Do to run Great Lakes S/S on the 11th. Really would like to test first but doesn't look like there will be time. Racing, if it were cheap and easy anyone could do it. On a positive note. My last three races the R/T has averaged .022
Doug

For what it's worth, I had the same experience sealing the carb/carbs to the scoop. Both with an 850 on a tarantula (yes, I know, WAY old school) and a crossram with two 750s, the car slowed down and hurt e.t.

For what it's worth, I had the same experience sealing the carb/carbs to the scoop. Both with an 850 on a tarantula (yes, I know, WAY old school) and a crossram with two 750s, the car slowed down and hurt e.t.
Was it leaning out or going pig rich?

My son and I went down to Columbus for the NSS Bash. He wanted to do some carb testing. So we got there Friday for T&T. The carb changes worked on the leave. But that created wheel spin. Took a few passes but some shock adjustment cured it. He had made a air pan to seal the carbs to the scoop. Long story short the car hated it. Lost 3 mph. So the pan will be an experiment for another time. This was an index race so he was tring to slow to 10.0 and myself to 9.25. Second pass the wheelie was higher than normal even with the added weight. It was caused by the rear wheelie bar lock pin falling out. Not sure how that could've occured. Replaced both pins with grade 8 bolts and nuts. The wheel is off a little so it'll get a suspension and alignment check. We kept adding weight in mine all the way up to 272 lbs. Still to quick. So with one qualifier left we switched it to 9.00. Couldn't get there, 9.06. Pulled out every once of weight for rd 1. Weather got worse, car fell on its face, I rolled it in to deep, red lighted. Everything that couldve gone bad did. My son faired better Qualifing at 10.02 on both qualifiers. He won the first 2 rounds. Then on the way up for rd #3 the left front tire is nearly flat. We scrammble for and air pump and plug kit. Then discover the sidewall is split. Quickly back to the pits we swap the front tire off my car to his. Just make it to the lanes in time. They both have good lights. His car is on a good pass. Then Bang Bang Bang from the engine in high gear. It's nearly midnight, we're done. Sunday morning pull the rocker covers. Find a broken #5 exhaust rocker. We concentrate on my car for for Sunday. Going back to 9.25. One qualifier and it stumbles to a 9.30. We find 2 loose connections at the MSD box. RD #1 still stumbles (330 time is off .10) but manage with a .018 light to take a .0005 stripe. Rd#2 is a bye, another 9.30 with a huge bog. In the pits we search and find nothing. Take all the weight out hoping even with the bog it'll run close to 9.25. I cut a decent .028 and then it starts bucking beyond the 330. I look down it has zero fuel pressure. My day is done as well. Got home at 10:30 Sunday. Monday put brakes and a hub bearing on my sisters car. Got the converter swap nearly complete on a friends racecar. And had time to remove and disassemble the fuel pump. It's pretty chewed up so the spare is on and it's being sent out for a rebuild. Strange the pump didn't affect the top end on any run except the last one. Do to run Great Lakes S/S on the 11th. Really would like to test first but doesn't look like there will be time. Racing, if it were cheap and easy anyone could do it. On a positive note. My last three races the R/T has averaged .022
Doug
Doug
Great to read your post and see you and your son are doing your best and you're right if it was cheap more would be racing. That's the #1 reason I was forced to give it up!
Thanks again and keep on keeping on!

Doug
At least you’re looking at the high points, getting that RT down there.

Was it leaning out or going pig rich?
Pig rich, Couldn't get it lean enough. I've run these carbs on my car with a sealed scoop and it was faster.
Doug
I would kill for a .050 average light, if it had no red lights
Only lost 2 rds this year going red. One was staging error. The other I thought I saw my opponent go red and my concentration went out the window. Current average for 2024 is .0401 I really struggled the first part of the year.
Doug

Last weekend with the spare fuel pump. 9.001@148 off the trailer. rd #1 dial 9.02. Run a .017/9.016 on the brakes enough to scrub 5 mph taking a double breakout win. Rd 2 .007 light, which made it imposible for me to win. His 11.71 dial and run of .005/11.711 for .006 pac. My day is coming. Maybe this weekend at NMCA Norwalk.
Doug

Good luck for you both at Norwalk, you know by now it doesn’t always go good!

Auto Transport Service
Back