• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Were fuel tanks painted in 1970?

ceekay

Local time
3:17 PM
Reaction score
Finally starting to get into my dad's old '70 Roadrunner, but was wondering if the fuel tanks were painted in 1970, or if they had just the coated steel look? Given that it's going to be a Resto-mod, I'm not necessarily bound by the "rules" of replicating the original configuration, so it may well be a piece I seal with some paint or etc. to help inhibit corrosion in the future... Though, there are stainless steel options as well these days - but, as we all know, stainless is "stain-less", not "stain-proof", and stainless can eventually corrode as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
- CK

Not painted, but they had a coating on them . I believe it was called Nitrune or something like that.

Buy a new Spectra and clear coat it. Did this one 7 years ago...
20240502_165018.jpg

Last edited:
My '70 was unpainted, just the original Ni-Tern coating. My Spectra replacement was the same.

I paint mine with aluminum cast coat looks almost factory

IMG_0342.jpeg

Very cool, thanks guys! Still undecided as to whether or not I'll color match it to the car or keep it shiny, but now I got some options. :D

Original tank rusted out, dad tossed it way back in the 90's. Just thinking about future-proofing it.

Jack up the rear and paint the undercarriage white like we did in the 60's...maybe a couple beehive lights clamped to the lower shock mounts to complete the look...plus an 8 track.

I used cold galvanizing spray paint on mine.

Auto Transport Service
Back