• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what does this fit? Hood Tachometer

monaco66coupe

Local time
7:33 AM
Reaction score
I have this hood mounted tach, but can't place where It came from. Duster? Ebody? 041.JPG038.JPG042.JPG039.JPG043.JPG040.JPG044.JPG

Attachments

• dixco.jpg
    dixco.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 538
  • dixco3.jpg
    dixco3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 594
  • dixco2.jpg
    dixco2.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 500
  • dixco1.jpg
    dixco1.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 458
  • dixco4.jpg
    dixco4.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 512
  • dixco5.jpg
    dixco5.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 539
They were an orderable option on Pontiacs, but they were also sold by GM, Ford, and Chrysler as well. I'm planning on putting one on my Road Runner as soon as I get one.

Thanks, I never had one, I don't want it, so I guess I'll post it. Anyone Interested, pm me.

It's growing on me, but I won't drill a hole in my hood. Tallhair will testify I'm stodgy!

Think they were an option for the 1970 T/A Challenger and AAR 'Cuda
Had one on mine:

eqybuty9.jpg

EDIT:
After quick search, did not see any photographic or production documentation verifying hood tach as an option, so likely was added by PO, as my non Rallye dash car had no tach in the cluster....

Last edited:
Did those come from the factory like that?

I dunno, thought so until today.
Now I'm second guessing that supposition.
Sure is a different world today. What I took as a given, and could have spent months researching back then, can now just do a quick google search and have some good info...
Guess I shoulda done that b4 posting

I had this car in the late 80's, and did not have it more than a couple years. Never verified any of its history or providence.
Just drove the hell out of it, till the G/F killed it.

Certain Pontiac GTO's were the only ones I've ever seen that came with one from the factory, and actually look like they belong there, maybe a late 60's Firebird or T-A as well.

This came out of the Chrysler parts accessory document from 1971. I had one on my 1970 Challenger R/T.
vbpgimage.php

I have the factory clock in my dash, and one of those goofy hose clamped tachs to my steering column, which is is coming off

That Dixco tach with the Chrysler logo sell for big bucks on ebay, but I've never seen a recent picture of a car that has one installed, so I'm always wondering what people are buying them for besides paperweights?

thanks for all your help, Guys! The Tachometer went to a demon owner. FBBO is definitely a widely used site!

I'm ambivalent about those things...they're cool in an era-specific way. The era when the Big Three were always coming up with wilder and wilder packages and accessories (and hp, and cubes, etc) trying to one-up the competition. But on the other hand they always look kinda tacked-on, no matter how well they fit. Of course, that's just my opinion right now...if I had one of those in my mitts I'd probably have it sitting on the hood trying to decide what to do w it.

I'm always getting stuck between nostalgia and my desire to keep my cars "clean" and devoid of geegaws.

Me too, it disturbed the lines of the hood to me. They were a 70's thing I guess.

Auto Transport Service
Back