• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What group battery

MWbirdLOVER70

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:44 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys asking for a friend and for my knowledge. What’s proper group battery for A12 with automatic? Group 24 or 27? My brain says 27

The A12's were originally 383 Road Runners and Super Bees. The vast majority of these cars left the assembly line with a Group 24 battery with yellow caps. Some of the cars sold to spec for a dealer order may be fitted with a Group 27 with red caps, but that would be an upgrade and shown on the broadcast sheet.

A12 was generally a group 24. Original magazine road test photos back this up.

The A12's were originally 383 Road Runners and Super Bees. The vast majority of these cars left the assembly line with a Group 24 battery with yellow caps. Some of the cars sold to spec for a dealer order may be fitted with a Group 27 with red caps, but that would be an upgrade and shown on the broadcast sheet.
I learn something new all the time. I thought an A12 would have had a Group 27 like most 440-equipped B-bodies. I never thought about them being 383 cars, originally. Thanks for the info.

I learn something new all the time. I thought an A12 would have had a Group 27 like most 440-equipped B-bodies. I never thought about them being 383 cars, originally. Thanks for the info.
I agree and thank you very much

Found my A12's broadcast sheet. It shows a 24. I was surprised too. I'm pretty sure it has a 27 sized battery box, and it's got a 27 in it now. Now I have to go look.......

Another one of those,"Never say Never when it comes to Ma Mopar"
I too have always seen 27's in them.

This "never say never with mopar" is way overused.

The facts are that the A12 broadcast sheets call out a 24 battery because of the 383 engine. And they are lighter for racing.

Not a mistake or assembly line substitution

The standard battery on an A12 car was the group 24 (59amp, yellow caps) battery. The group 27 could have been ordered as an option. Cold weather climates precipitated the replacement of the group 24 with a group 27 (70amp, red caps). See below.

The A12 option was an upgrade on a standard 383 Super Bee or Roadrunner, hence the oddities on the tag. Many of the details/parts of a 383 car exist on the A12 cars and are not an error but just the way they were built.

D

6_bbl_battery_bulletin.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back