• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What hydraulic roller lifters have people had good luck with?

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
4:33 AM
Reaction score
Looking for lifters for my build. 400/512 stroker with a lunati voodoo 713 cam and max wedge trick flows.

Are lunati decent? Or are there certain brands that are good or ones to avoid?

Good question. I know nothing, but read many stories of failed lifters, flat tappet and roller. Is it high lift with high spring pressures that causes most failures?

Problem is most are made by one company. My current set is comp but have gone through 3 sets to get there.

I have used several sets of Comp roller lifters with no problems so far. I have just purchased some of the newer Evolution type but not fitted them yet.
A friend purchased a motor fitted with Morel that gave problems. The lifter plungers kept sticking and it would jump a pushrod.

Being book smart more than experienced, if in doubt, I go with what the factory did, adding maybe just a little extra.
In the end, with two identical 1968 383 Road Runners, only one with aftermarket performance valve springs, will that one be faster? Is the risk during break in worth the extra peak rpm's on a street car?

Morel, ISKY, Jones Camshaft Technologies.

I wouldn't use hydraulic nor anything with needle bearings... bushing or solid steel is best.

IMHO most cam outfits recommend valve springs that are much too heavy for most builds unless it's a full bore race engine.

Valve lifter issues are pretty rare in my oval track world but most guys use good lifters not those built to a price point. Running 8K for 25-75 laps is a good test of quality.

Zero & counting.....
Use solid lifters. Lash to 0.006" at operating temp.

Had a set of comp 8921-16 hydraulic rollers in my 451 stroker fail, all was good on the dyno but after I reinstalled the motor I got a couple hundred miles on several on the passenger side kept bleeding down and eventually stopped pumping up, replaced them with Johnson ST2311BBR lifters and so far so good

I opted to go with Solids because of superior valve control, Get street grind that keeps spring pressures to a point that will run trouble free. Never regretted it and never looked back.

Had a set of comp 8921-16 hydraulic rollers in my 451 stroker fail, all was good on the dyno but after I reinstalled the motor I got a couple hundred miles on several on the passenger side kept bleeding down and eventually stopped pumping up, replaced them with Johnson ST2311BBR lifters and so far so good
is it quiet?

Randy,
Answering post #12. Yes, it is quiet.
Only a couple of weeks back, I was leaving a friends place & he commented on how quiet the engine was. I have headers too.
With sol lifter cams, I always lash them 0.012/0.012". That is at running temp.

Randy,
Answering post #12. Yes, it is quiet.
Only a couple of weeks back, I was leaving a friends place & he commented on how quiet the engine was. I have headers too.
With sol lifter cams, I always lash them 0.012/0.012". That is at running temp.
Good to know. Ive heard stories about hyd roller cam setups being noisy- to the point of people wishing they had never done it.

Auto Transport Service
Back