• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What size/type of trailer is common for a 68-70 Charger?

rklewis1005

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:54 AM
Reaction score
I'm a year away from needing one, but want to keep my eyes out for the right trailer at the right price. Since they're over 17 feet long, I think enclosed should be at least 20-24 feet long and 8.5 feet wide. I'm assuming everyone uses enclosed if they're traveling more than an hour or 2?

Any do's/don't's when it comes to finding a trailer? I would like to find one before next summer so I can pick it up from the shop (body & paint done) without any stones, ruining it on day one.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Ross

Enclosed 24 foot, preferably with a street side door for exiting the car, or a winch to get it in and out. Let your budget be your guide on extras.

I have a 66 Satellite. And a 20ft enclosed.

It fits . but can be a little snug to get in front to tie it down. BUT, IM old and fat so its probably not all the trailer sizes fault
And the street side exit door is a HUGE bonus

In this picture, The car is a little farther forward than I usually load it.
My stop blocks have it farther back about a ft ( it tows better there )

A 22 ft would be better, and a 24 would be max I would go .
Keep in mind size of the tow vehicle should be a considering factor as well. A 20-22 would be the max I think I would be comfortable with behind my Ram 1500 gas motor truck

truck-trailer.jpg

Resized_20240501_135703_1715275563764.jpeg

Resized_20240501_135711_1715275562978.jpeg

Screenshot_20240909_135605_Photos.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 66 Satellite. And a 20ft enclosed.

It fits . but can be a little snug to get in front to tie it down. BUT, IM old and fat so its probably not all the trailer sizes fault
And the street side exit door is a HUGE bonus

A 22 ft would be better, and a 24 would be max I would go .
Keep in mind size of the tow vehicle should be a considering factor as well. A 20-22 would be the max I think I would be comfortable with behind my Ram 1500 gas motor truck

View attachment 1724151
Thanks - we'd be using a RAM 1500, but it has the right rear axle & transmission to haul up to 10k. We regularly pull a 30ft travel trailer at around 8k pounds.

Ross

If you’re going to be trailering much get a V nose with a sloped top. You’ll save a bunch on gas.

20' seems awfully big to tow with a 68 Charger... Maybe a dirt bike trailer or a jet ski trailer.... A 20 footer? Really???

We build trailers and have for 30 years.

The difference in cost for us to build a 24 ft.
over a 20 ft. in only a several hundred dollars.
The space for tools/Chairs etc. comes in handy not
to mention room to maneuver around your car.

Also, if you are traveling more than 50 miles try to
get 6000 lb. axles rate than 3500 (or just do not want problems).
Not only are the axles stronger but springs / tires /hardware / brakes
are way beefier!

I can build a trailer just as cheap as the Georgia Boys, but I would
have to use Thin 4 inch cut rate angle iron for the frame.
Not to mention Chinese Junk Axles and Components throughout.

However, I like to look at my face in the mirror when I shave to do that
to my customers.

IF you are not paying $10,000 to 12,000 for a 24' enclosed trailer with 6000LB
Axles and E range Trailer tires. You are not getting American made Dexter
quality components.

We buy everything hundreds of thousands of dollars at a time, I know what quality American
parts cost even at wholesale high Volume discounts.

Last edited:
here is a couple pics of my 64 Belvedere in my 24' trailer. I probably should have got 26' or 28'. trailers are like garages, never enough space :)
jim

PXL_20231123_154532865.jpg

PXL_20231123_154544899.jpg

PXL_20231123_160101536.jpg

PXL_20240615_183948683.jpg

Get a 24' enclosed, you will not regret it. Another bonus, when the time comes that you no longer need it, the 24' retains more value.

If I remember correctly you want 24'. It has to do with where the axles will be. And having room inside to adjust where the car is going to be to give you the proper tongue weight.

I have an old 22' that fits my B body well. There's enough room in front for travel storage, and extras. Consider the height, as a lot of new trailers are quite tall, so remember, you're pulling a sail, or billboard. The V-nose are nice, for that reason, and a little more enclosed storage. If this is a long term buy, consider the 5000# axles, and outfit it the way you want it. My 22' just fits where I store it, so consider that in your plans also...

I had to settle for a 20-foot trailer so it would fit in my driveway and not overhang onto the sidewalk. A 22- or 24-foot trailer would have been better but the 20 works okay for what I tow.

You want a 10K rated trailer with the 5K axles with the bigger brakes. You can spot those by the six lug wheels instead of the five lug wheels on the 3.5K axles.

Get the larger curb side door and an escape door on the driver's side is a nice addition. Wireless backup camera and a wireless remote winch are a couple of extras that come in handy.

I have halled Chargers and other cars on my 18' open, my work 24' enclosed and now with my 28' enclosed trailer. The bigger the better.

IMG_0170.jpg

20170304_145148.jpg

IMG_55461.jpg

20210904_171218.jpg

20210904_171159.jpg

Have enclosed and open trailers hauling Chargers and a Daytona. As others have said, be sure to get the "escape" door on the left side so you can get in/out of the car in the trailer. One thing I added (wasn't an option with the manufacturer) was "ramp overs," these were 12" wide diamond tread aluminum panels on top of a 2" x 4" wooden frame based on the cars track. This males it much easier to tie down the car in the trailer, and the extra height does not affect the CG of the trailer that much. Agree with others to get a "vee" nose trailer, better milage and more stable when the big trucks go by. Heaviest axles you can get are a good thing also. Good luck.

My trailer is wide enough that I don't need ramp overs or an escape door. I can get in and out of the cars within the trailer without them. I do also have a winch which makes dragging in any vehicle a breeze. Even if a project vehicle on 4 flat tires.

When i was shopping for an enclosed trailer, I found that 20 footers did not have enough surplus load capacity.
If you have plenty of storage room, I'd consider a 28, but to me, a 24 would be the minimum I'd accept. It will also retain value better than a 20.

I don't know where the op is located, but be aware.... west coast prices are about 50% higher than Midwest, or southern locations.
And you can spend from $7500-$20,000 for a 24 footer.

Auto Transport Service
Back