• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What size U-Joint!? Wrong parts are piling up! PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

Vincent Holt

Local time
10:28 PM
Reaction score
1967 Coronet R/T. Original 440/727/8-3/4.
I removed the driveshaft to replace the u joints. Both seem to be original. They u joints were very difficult to remove so they got thrown far far away. I ordered new U-J according to my make/model with all the usual sizes being listed. I have ordered 3 sets and all 3 are way too big! 2 Moog and 1 Spicer brand. Both Caps are Cross aren't even close. The ones I need have a small cap and overall size. Again, I don't have the ones I removed. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

1967 Coronet R/T. Original 440/727/8-3/4.
I removed the driveshaft to replace the u joints. Both seem to be original. They u joints were very difficult to remove so they got thrown far far away. I ordered new U-J according to my make/model with all the usual sizes being listed. I have ordered 3 sets and all 3 are way too big! 2 Moog and 1 Spicer brand. Both Caps are Cross aren't even close. The ones I need have a small cap and overall size. Again, I don't have the ones I removed. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Rock Auto is a useful site to view at times - you don't need to buy from them, but their part descriptions often have physical dimensions to check against part numbers before purchase.

If the one you are getting are too big, the it is either the 7260, or a 1330.

Where were the retaining rings on the old ones?

Rock Auto is a useful site to view at times - you don't need to buy from them, but their part descriptions often have physical dimensions to check against part numbers before purchase.
Yes, I'm aware of the trick. One of my purchase was from there

Factory only offered 2 flavors.. If 3 sets of 7290s are all too big there's only 1 other way to go.. 7260's are the ones you need. Spicer life series are the ones my driveshaft shop recommended to me. GL

1725888367757.png

1725888429806.png

There are only two sizes of inside clip u joints that were used in mopars. 7260 were the small ones. Measure your drive shaft and yoke to be sure. There are size charts all over the internet.

The original on that car would be a 1330. Something has been changed.

Is it possible that the current configuration requires a cross-over joint to transition to different yokes, adding confusion?

Post diameter of the u-joint cups if you have them. Some is odd. As said driveshaft should have 1330 u j cup dia 1.o625 outside clips. 7260 cups are 1.078 dia.

Post diameter of the u-joint cups if you have them. Some is odd. As said driveshaft should have 1330 u j cup dia 1.o625 outside clips. 7260 cups are 1.078 dia.
No remains of old UJs. I chucked'em. Here are the measurements for the end of driveshaft. The length of the driveshaft is just over 51''.20240910_175246.jpg20240910_175235.jpg20240910_125633.jpg20240910_175142.jpg

20240910_175200.jpg

So either the car is actually a 318 car, or someone went through great lengths to remove a good drive shaft and replace it with something substantially less.

Am I missing something?

Better measure the yoke on the 8 3/4. Are you sure it’s an 8 3/4?

Remove paint from inside of holes for cups will make install easier. Your 7260 u=j should com with inside clips. Driveshaft looks machined for them, remove the paint it wil install easier.

Looks like 7260s to me..
I bought the Spicer 5-789x (7260 series) it's just a hair too big. The cross(caps removed) will not fit into the driveshaft. Also the overall size of UJ is wider than the end of driveshaft. Only bigger by maybe an 1/8" on each side. What would be the next step down??

Those are the only 2 flavors factory offered.. 7290 is what you tried in the beginning, 7260 is what you have now.

I bought the Spicer 5-789x (7260 series) it's just a hair too big. The cross(caps removed) will not fit into the driveshaft. Also the overall size of UJ is wider than the end of driveshaft. Only bigger by maybe an 1/8" on each side. What would be the next step down??

The cups don't slip in. Think you need to take driveshaft and U-joint to a place that does driveshaft or a good garage. If you can take a picture of U-J clip groves with a tape measure and do the with end of driveshaft to see the width opening of the ears? Are the ears bent from removing old U-joint?

Auto Transport Service
Back