• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Likes Aircraft ?

1715846839744.png

Although relying in most part on imported aircraft, Sweden also built it's own fighter during WWII. The Kungliga Flygförvaltningens Flygverkstad i Stockholm J22 (usually shortened to KFFS J22) was introduced in Oct. 1943 and performed well. Mock dogfight tests against the P51 Mustang showed that it held its own at lower altitudes, but without a good supercharger it lost ability higher than 16,000 feet.
1716088537594.jpeg
1716088547032.jpeg

1716088561502.jpeg

They continued in service until being retired in 1952.

Don't all ye who post these want to guess as to their location, type, etc??!! The RAAF Mig Killer flew a Meteor made by Gloucster. Howver this was a one-off; the Meteor was no match for the agile Mig, and they were withdrawn from air combat and used air-ground only. I think the USAF F-86s are at Suwon, tho it had a differnt name then. The line-up of Varks is Aussie, the only country dumb enough to buy them. Welll....maybe their long range was an asset in that sub-continent. The -111 would fly VERY fast, 800KIAS plus. Swing wing was that era's solution to the problem of landing speed and top speed. The -111, one French, I think, and the Mig-23, which was also incredibly fast...and so dangerois that the secret op at Tonopah stopped flying them. Cheers from an ORF - old retired fool- who flew Super Sabre, Hog, and Viper.

PS the cockpit module was the solution to very high speed ejection: an open seat is lethal above about 500-550. The B-58, the original B-1, and the Vark had capsules. Pilots today face the 600 knot breeze with neck stabilization and arm and leg restraints. I personally evaluated, and flew with, an RAF Tornado driver, shot down in Iraq, whose shoulder nerve had been stretched by the arm restraint. His deltoid was visibly atrophied, but...he flew again!

Auto Transport Service
Back