• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wrinkle paint

paul1969cars

Local time
6:15 AM
Reaction score
Can anyone recomend a wrinkle paint for the 1969 air cleader. It not a solid black from what I researched more grey /black

See photo attached of what i found

Capture 6.PNG

I have my doubts that is factory finish... this one on my Bird has never been repainted. I've heard that VHT wrinkle finish, sprayed from extra distance works well.

update2a.jpg

Last edited:
I have used Eastwood with good results. Whatever paint you decide to use make sure it's plenty warm when you do it. Temperature really changes the results of how it wrinkles. The hotter the better.

I have used Eastwood with good results. Whatever paint you decide to use make sure it's plenty warm when you do it. Temperature really changes the results of how it wrinkles. The hotter the better.

Another key is to apply it evenly. I’ve used a heat gun to accelerate the wrinkling.

Yes, a heat gun helps a lot, especially in cooler weather.

There was a member here who could help if you need a pie tin for it... :lol:

I used the VHT from a distance and baked under heat lamps after sprayed on my valve covers. Wrinkled perfectly. Hard to tell, but I guess I have never taken close up photos.

rsz_20160414_201144.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

Feedback from the Technical Director of the International Chrysler Collectors' Association about my wrinkle and HP273 Commando valve covers:

Screenshot_20240121-111139~2.png

He took his 1965 Dart Charger to the MCACN a few years ago. It scored 996 out of a possible 1000 and my valve covers were not included in any of the deductions.
Neener neener :poke:

Auto Transport Service
Back