• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833 4-Spd Swap for 5 or 6 Speed? B Body

Hemibird

Local time
2:58 PM
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone has swapped out a B Body 4-speed for a 5 or 6 speed tranny, and if it was mostly "Bolt In", or required a huge amount of work?

I have a 1968 Hemi Roadrunner with the 4:10 rear end gears. The old A833 is moaning, groaning and whining quite a bit. I was toying with the idea of swaping it out for a 5 or 6 speed overdrive transmission, that would allow the engine to run at lower RPM's on the highway, going to and from events. I'd eventually freshen up the original tranny and keep it in the garage for the "Next" owner to put in if he wanted to.

Any personal experience or directions to go for information would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 68 RR 14.jpg
    68 RR 14.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 68 RR 15.jpg
    68 RR 15.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 857
Passion is to have a 5 speed that will be a 100% bolt in for your 833 replacment. Other style like a trimmec take changes to fit. And you need there Kit !

If I were going to go with a 5 speed I would for sure think about the passon 5 speed kit. As it is a direct bolt in with no cutting of the car. Especially if your car is a real hemi car I would hate to cut on it.
Or you could just rebuild the 4 speed and put a 3.54 gear in it.
Matt

Passion is to have a 5 speed that will be a 100% bolt in for your 833 replacment. Other style like a trimmec take changes to fit. And you need there Kit !
Passon 5 speeds should be on milk cartons. Anyone see one? The Tremec TKO-5 speed I put in the Coronet required about a 4x4" floor pan cut. End result is good, 2150 rpm @ 70 mph. If I had a real Hemi car, I'd probably do the 833 and Gearvendors as recommended.

I have seen that done but you will need a custome drive haft and so on. To me the Passion 5 speed is the ticket if I was to need it. But I run a Quick change rear so I just swap out spurs and go. But I am Different ! :evil3:

i have a tremec 5 speed in mine. I would never put one in a real hemi car, it'll never be the same for the already mentioned reasons. either the passon or gear venders would be your best bet.

Did you have to modify much to install the tremic 5 speed? Was yours already a four speed? Where does the gear shift come up through, off to the side like a four speed or in the center of the tunnel

Did you have to modify much to install the tremic 5 speed? Was yours already a four speed? Where does the gear shift come up through, off to the side like a four speed or in the center of the tunnel
It was an 833 Hemi 4 speed to start. No mods beyond the floor pan cut. It appears a stock 4 speed now, off to the side. This is an early TKO Keisler. It has 2-3 high rpm shift issues too - purchased in 2008, buy a later version.

DONT CUT THE HEMI CAR....i would look into the passion...im putting a tremec 6 speed tr6060 in mine. a little cutting involved. i would not do this to a real HEMI car. jmo

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1397354258562.jpg
    ResizedImage_1397354258562.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 715
  • ResizedImage_1397354237931.jpg
    ResizedImage_1397354237931.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 717
  • ResizedImage_1397354184055.jpg
    ResizedImage_1397354184055.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 864
  • ResizedImage_1397354624879.jpg
    ResizedImage_1397354624879.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 699
WOW ! You call that ALITTLE Cutting ?? I did prostock cars with that mutch tunnle work !

Thanks for the replies.

I looked into the Passion 5-speed before I asked the question. It's $4600, and there is a 400 unit backlog. They told me it would be a year +/- before I see a transmission. To rebuild mine would be $650. At that price difference, I'm not sure It's worth it.

Need to look into the Gear Vendors offering ... looks like $3000

Right now the car a "10 Footer" ... a driver, and I'm sort of inclined to leave it that way for the time being, which is why I'm thinking 5 speed.

No ... I'm not cutting the car up. I've been called crazy ... but I'm not insane. I've spent a lot of time & money getting original parts to return it to showroom condition. I've resisted doing the final restoration, because I know when after it is done, I'll be paranoid to drive it, and, it'll become a "Trailer Queen" like my 70 RR ... Unless I find another "Driver.":sideways tongue:

Wish I was closer as I would rebuld your four speed for you and save you money.

I am number 401 on the customer list for the new aluminum 833. And that is if it ever actually gets produced. Just spoke to them again, and I guess another company (that is known for clutches) announced or was about to announce a bolt in 5 speed for our old Mopars. So Passon felt pressured to announce their intentions first. And then the "clutch" company never did come through with their trans. Too bad, as I have always had their clutches in my Mopars, and I would have no doubt the tranny would be a good one. So for now, I will wait. No way am I cutting up my Bee. It's just NOT that terrible to have to drive around with ONLY a 4 speed. Could be worse, could be an automatic! LOL…JUST KIDDING!!!

I got the first Keisler 5-spd for a bench seat B-body almost ten years ago. American Powertrain makes similar kits with a crossmember, speedo cable, driveshaft, everything but the bellhousing. Not cheap - $3600. americanpowertrain.com/i-8521571-profit-tko-kit-for-1966-70-mopar-b-body.html

I just ordered a Legend LGT 700 trans AKA Keisler SS700 (was always a legend trans) you can get one from a few different dealers. It's not a kit but the trans does fit better then a tremec. should have it in 6-8 weeks will be doing install notes on it for the fourms.

Wish I was closer as I would rebuld your four speed for you and save you money.

Yea ... so do I. Can't seem to find anyone around here to rebuild it. Or ... at least a shop that impresses me enough that I feel comfortable handing over the transmission to. I'm not saying one doesn't exist, I just haven't found one. I'm 1/2 way between Hartford, CT & Springfield, Mass ... in case someone might have a recomendation.

Jamie Passon is only about 250 miles away. 1 day drive to drop it off, another day to pick it up. At least it'll be done right.

Yea ... so do I. Can't seem to find anyone around here to rebuild it. Or ... at least a shop that impresses me enough that I feel comfortable handing over the transmission to. I'm not saying one doesn't exist, I just haven't found one. I'm 1/2 way between Hartford, CT & Springfield, Mass ... in case someone might have a recomendation.

Auto Transport Service
Back