• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on this......

md71631

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
Hola fellow Travelers...... not a big thing but wondering what is the best fix here......... DIY or do they make aftermarket...... brake lights are good and reverse lights work... just looks a bit shoddy.....

IMG_1524.jpg

'64 Dodge?

You can try removing what's peeling off and spray paint a metallic silver for a temporary fix. Just peel it off with your fingers and don't scratch it. It might not all come off but just get what's loose. Spray dry coats as not to cause a reaction with what's on there. One dry coat might be enough.

I did it with my '62s front turn signal lenses that were peeling on the backside like yours.
20200603_152447.jpg

My car has the exact same thing. I found another nice one. But since I didn't want to open up tailight surgery, it's sitting on the bench :lol: :rolleyes:

I build model car kits, so can offer advice on refinishing plastic without destroying it. I also have a 1964 Polara. The old silver paint can be removed with Castrol Super Clean without marring the clear plastic. You can respray the back of the lens with model car silver or chrome paint. Some cleaners or paints not meant for plastic can craze it.

I build model car kits, so can offer advice on refinishing plastic without destroying it. I also have a 1964 Polara. The old silver paint can be removed with Castrol Super Clean without marring the clear plastic. You can respray the back of the lens with model car silver or chrome paint. Some cleaners or paints not meant for plastic can craze it.
Thank you. About 30 or 40 years ago I decided to clean up and repaint my grill medallion. So think I used MEK or acetone. Anyway it crazed the whole medallion. A lesson learned the hard way.

Normally to paint on plastic you remove the old finish. Then clean with a good grease and wax remover / surface prep.
Dust with a adhesion promoter
( Bull dog ) ect. Then put a coat of epoxy primer/sealer with a little extra reducer in it. Then paint.
Or....... for a small area like that go to a hobby store and grab one of those 1/4 size rattle can of Testers model car paint.
It is made to lay right on plastic and not craze. :lol:

Place a wanted ad for one here on the site. There's a lot of nice parts available here.

Normally to paint on plastic you remove the old finish. Then clean with a good grease and wax remover / surface prep.
Dust with a adhesion promoter
( Bull dog ) ect. Then put a coat of epoxy primer/sealer with a little extra reducer in it. Then paint.
Or....... for a small area like that go to a hobby store and grab one of those 1/4 size rattle can of Testers model car paint.
It is made to lay right on plastic and not craze. :lol:
All that prep and stuff won't work here. What you are looking at is the back side of the applied paint through a clear lens. The paint is sprayed on the back of the lens, not the front surface.

All that prep and stuff won't work here. What you are looking at is the back side of the applied paint through a clear lens. The paint is sprayed on the back of the lens, not the front surface.
So that lens will not come off or remove or there is no access from the inner
lens ?

Take the nuts off the bezel studs from inside the trunk. The bezel will pull off, and the lens will fall out.

Take the nuts off the bezel studs from inside the trunk. The bezel will pull off, and the lens will fall out.
Not that easy as some are Phillips head behind the gasket...

Forgot about those. After almost 77 years, my brain must be full. New information comes in, and some old information falls out. It is pretty random. Time for a reboot, I guess. LOL

Forgot about those. After almost 77 years, my brain must be full. New information comes in, and some old information falls out. It is pretty random. Time for a reboot, I guess. LOL
It happens to everyone. If you figure out the reboot let me know. I just replied to a thread about a dash emblem fastener and I knew exactly what it was but showed clips that are used elsewhere on the car...

Auto Transport Service
Back