• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charging charger

bcOH67

Local time
8:01 PM
Reaction score
67 charger. Msd 6al. Higher amp alt, 70 style wiring conversion with 70s style VR and ballast delete.

Couldn’t find a thread on my exact problem so sorry for another charging question.

Just got done with a rewiring project. Started it up the first time, 14 at the battery while idling and stayed there while reving. All good I think. Two days later, I have 12.8 at idle and it goes to 14.3 at rev and stays there, won’t go higher which is good I think. When idling, if I turn my lights on for example, it still keeps it close to 13. So it is maintaining so to speak.

Just confused why it would change but still be ‘working’ . Anyone experienced this before?

67 charger. Msd 6al. Higher amp alt, 70 style wiring conversion with 70s style VR and ballast delete.

Couldn’t find a thread on my exact problem so sorry for another charging question.

Just got done with a rewiring project. Started it up the first time, 14 at the battery while idling and stayed there while reving. All good I think. Two days later, I have 12.8 at idle and it goes to 14.3 at rev and stays there, won’t go higher which is good I think. When idling, if I turn my lights on for example, it still keeps it close to 13. So it is maintaining so to speak.

Just confused why it would change but still be ‘working’ . Anyone experienced this before?
Sounds like everything is working as it should......but MAYBE re-torque the LR tire's valve stem cap, could be a little loose???......
BOB RENTON

Joking aside, you wouldn’t be concerned about anything? This seems normal?

Never had it on a charger. Just had it disconnected. I did check it with the meter before the first turn on and it was around 12.3. Then cranked it and it rose to 14 and stayed there, even when I rev’d it.

I had the a very similar situation with my 66. Actually, it happened twice... and each time it was after putting in a new alt. I found that when they were new they seemed to push higher volts (14-ish) at idle, and then eventually settled down to 12.9-13.3 ish. Of course, I may have misunderstood your post.

I had the a very similar situation with my 66. Actually, it happened twice... and each time it was after putting in a new alt. I found that when they were new they seemed to push higher volts (14-ish) at idle, and then eventually settled down to 12.9-13.3 ish. Of course, I may have misunderstood your post.
That sounds exactly like what I had happen. Thank you!

Auto Transport Service
Back