• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Installing a new wiring harness

Mark1972

Local time
1:41 AM
Reaction score
I'm getting a little tired of constantly fighting electrical demons, and while I should have done this years ago when the car was nothing but a shell, I didn't. This is my 1970 Plymouth Satellite which I put a 440/727 in to replace the old 318/904 combo. There is such a huge difference in price between Painless, and American Auto Wire. $600 vs $1500. I assume somehow it is worth it, but I'd like the input from those of you that have done this job. I do have an original wiring diagram, and at least a reasonable degree of knowledge in wiring.

The easiest harness to install is one from M&H. I have no experience with other manufacturers. But they require a lot of work due to being customizable.

If your car is a factory stock style build M&H factory style harness is the ticket. plug and play. If not I dont know. roll the dice and let all of us here know you take on whatever you chose.

I will certainly post on which way I go. $2000 for a harness(M&H in Canadian dollars)is a lot right now with cost of living here, and I was considering selling the car earlier this year. It's still in storage and with my work schedule this summer, I'll only have the car out a handful of times. I've got a lot to think about. If I do keep it, I'm definitely doing the wiring. Just trying to make the best decision.

I would advise not to go with painless or any of the so called universal kits. M&H is plug and play and exactly what your car needs. I wired a car with a painless type harness. Its now in a plastic bag in the garage. I replaced it with the complete setup from M&H and it took me 2 days. vs 2 weeks cutting and splicing the other one.

I used the American Autowire kit but I upgraded all my systems during the rebuild. So now I have a modern blade style fuse box with circuits for electric fans, fuel pump, full gauge package, ac or non-ac sub harness but it also has all the provisions for stock gauges and accessories.

Look up Evans wiring harness, they are very customer friendly and can do some customizing and not break the bank.

I sent my original dash wiring harness from the Cuda to Parts Hound to restore. He does a good job. Tommy White is the owner.

M&H is the way to go. Very costly and make sure its in stock. YearOne has discounts and that the way I buy them. Ive bought 3 dash harness and watch the price go from $300 to &800 in the past 5 years and its BS. I know a guy who does the American Autowire and he does it on alot of old cars. He likes it and I believe a lot cheaper to do a whole car then M&H. I will pay the price for M&H

What you need to know about those universal kits.

Most of them are based off of a GM car and parts.

Turn signal is based off of a GM harness you have to re pin or convert to your turn signal switch and harness. Pain in the ***.

Ignition switch based off of GM switch. This isn't too bad but not plug and play.

Wiper harness doesn't exist in a universal kit. You have to make this. They provide a hot wire for it but nothing else.

There are a few other things to convert but I cant remember right now. I know there is nothing for reverse lights in the harness either.

Have a look at this manual PAINLESS and see if you think you are up to the task VS plug and play OE style. Is your time worth the headache?

Last edited:
What you need to know about those universal kits.

Most of them are based off of a GM car and parts.

Turn signal is based off of a GM harness you have to re pin or convert to your turn signal switch and harness. Pain in the ***.

Ignition switch based off of GM switch. This isn't too bad but not plug and play.

Wiper harness doesn't exist in a universal kit. You have to make this. They provide a hot wire for it but nothing else.

There are a few other things to convert but I cant remember right now. I know there is nothing for reverse lights in the harness either.

Have a look at this manual PAINLESS and see if you think you are up to the task VS plug and play OE style. Is your time worth the headache?
Excellent points. It's looking like the M&H, maybe ordered from Year One(based on price)is the best choice. I will likely speak to someone at M&H, let them know what I've got, and get their advice on moving forward. Sadly, there is a chance I won't even take my car out of storage this year(work reasons), which means I could purchase the harness, and have it in my garage for when the car comes home.

Hi Mark I just finished with the electrical system rebuild on my 69. I made my own harnesses to custom fit my application. The electrical system on these cars is fairly basic and simple, not hard to do. Get one of those big color wiring diagrams. I will be adding more info and pictures to my restoration thread-RJ 19D0B9A6-9859-4E76-8CF1-1A9D8147F363.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought the $299 AAW harness for my 62 Dart, with the alternator/maxi fuse kit too.
The only pain part was the amount of wire they give you.

I bought original style Packard male/female connectors, used the original plastic connectors from my original harness.
Yes, it is set up for GM stuff, but everything hooked up without issues, original ignition switch, wiper switch, column harness, starter, starter relay solenoid etc.
I used the supplied light switch, bolted in no problem, used my original switch rod/knob.
I did use my original taillight harness.

Installed a positive and negative ground hub under the dash, as well as a negative hub by the battery, makes adding accessories easy peasy and ensuring great grounds.

Also used the passenger inner fender as a wiring route, same as the driver side was used from the factory, complete with the plastic straps.

I am extremely pleased with it and have a huge bag of wiring and connectors left over.

On another car, I bought the 7 circuit Painless kit, used the same Packard connectors, and just integrated it into the factory harnesses.
1 circuit/wire to the ignition switch, 1 to the heater, 1 to the light switch, I think I have a circuit or two still not being used.

20220707_182602.jpg

20220707_182625.jpg

20221106_144009.jpg

20221106_144001.jpg

If you have more time than $$, use a FSM and wiring diagrams to go through each wire in the existing harnesses to find the problems. Basically restore the harnesses.
I assume your main concern is the dash harness but the engine and light harnesses can also cause problems.

Auto Transport Service
Back