• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

just a little off the back and sides please

Happy birthday Mrs Eldubb440
1712101865875.jpeg
:bday::bday:

With all she puts up with, I hope you went the extra mile on her birthday!
Well, when she feels better.......

You Sir are an artist!

You've inspired me to do the body and paint on my 64 D100.
So far I've purchased a mig welder and a board sander. (Already have a compressor).
Is there anything else I'm really going to need?

:lowdown:

:lol:
I started under eldubb440's tutelage a couple of years ago and found his advice and pictures invaluable; so THAT'S one thing I suggest you need! Here are things that I've found useful that I wish I had from the beginning:

1. Angle grinders. Get a couple so you don't have to switch the cutting wheel to the grind wheel; have a grinder and a cutter. Get the lighter/less amperage ones as the heavier ones wear you out with the extra weight. I've got a couple of 4.5" 4.3 amp grinders that are a delight to hold. I bought mine at Harbor Frieght for $15 each.
2. A nice hammer/dolly set for metal work. There are so many dings and dents that can be tapped out.
3. Lights. I bought a number of the rechargeable 500 lumen LED wands with magnetic bottoms that stick anywhere.
4. Face shield (if you're doing a lot of cutting like I am). I have safety glasses, but crap flies up into my face and the face shield works best. (Note: I bought my face shield after going to the optometrist to pull a small metal piece from my eye.)
5. Don't laugh but I wear metal mesh gloves under my thin leather work gloves when cutting or grinding. I've hacked into my hands too many times and, while the metal mesh gloves won't prevent a full-on cutoff wheel, they do give you that split second to get your hand out of there.
6. An extra bottle of welding gas. Same reason as you have an extra propane tank for your barbecue grill.
7. Here are more:

Okay, in rereading my suggestions, I guess most are based on my newbie's hypocratic oath: First, do no harm :)

Regarding welding for first time welders:

1. Practice your welding on places that no one will see: wheel wells, trunk, floors, etc. When I look at my first welds I wonder what I was drinking....
2. Yes, heat warp is a thing. Let it cool. (Newbies aren't known for their patience.)
3. Watch videos by Fitzee's Fabrications. The guy's a whiz with welding and fabrication.

Terry

^^^^^^^^^ happy you found some useful tips; it's easy to get lost in the big jobs.....

anyway, almost back to normal here; I have my hands in everything right now, making up for lost time and trying to avoid the poor house :rolleyes:

^^^^^^^^^ happy you found some useful tips; it's easy to get lost in the big jobs.....

anyway, almost back to normal here; I have my hands in everything right now, making up for lost time and trying to avoid the poor house :rolleyes:
and no pics for us :BangHead:

Is it my eyes or are you making the hood scoops functional?

been too long since the last update..... working on 4 major projects at the same time :eek:.... hence the delay :rolleyes:

and since the cat was let out of the bag (sort of on purpose)...... and Dave @qkcuda picked up on it (give that man a cigar); let's talk hood scoops, shall we?

the main problem with 67 GTX scoops, is they are tiny........ and the "back cut" opening is less than aggressive in appearance.

if you remove the bezel mounting area, they offer a "mail slot" to pull any air through, which in no way would work for any type of "air grabber" type set up......

but if the trapezoid shape scoop is extended, the size of the opening quickly increases in both height and width; and a "front cut" looks more the aggressive part, and also hides the hole.......now it can grab some air

so utilizing things I have lying around the shop; I cut groves into the four corners of the opening and built a cage; doing the same exact things to each scoop..... the area where the original bezel mounts is removed, just not in the early pics

IMG_20240502_210514501.jpg
IMG_20240502_211055729.jpg

I'll fast forward through step 2 (ancient Chinese secret), and get to some fiberglass......
I managed to keep everything the same thickness as the rest of the scoop;

IMG_20240514_165307250.jpg
IMG_20240514_165256436_HDR.jpg

and the evolution continues with a little filler work......

also...... the hood peaks in the center and runs slightly down hill to the fenders; the outer side of the scoop in angled different than the inner side, so as to lift the outer and make the scoops sit level

IMG_20240514_210428156.jpg
IMG_20240514_212718006.jpg

not sure yet of how we will paint them, it is currently in high level discussion; we have a few options.......

but most importantly, after rounding off the sharp corners; we have a nice set of bookends to work with......

I honestly had no plan; when I came upon a small pile of stainless rods; a lightbulb came on and I just went with it

IMG_20240518_140610749_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work Mark. I opened the factory scoops on my Cuda. I lean towards body colour with the black stripes, most people will probably never notice the changes. Thanks for the cigar, cough cough.

Nice work Mark. I opened the factory scoops on my Cuda. I lean towards body colour with the black stripes, most people will probably never notice the changes. Thanks for the cigar, cough cough.

it was from my private stash :fool:

this is my thought...... just one option

1716064198638.jpeg

been too long since the last update..... working on 4 major projects at the same time :eek:.... hence the delay :rolleyes:

and since the cat was let out of the bag (sort of on purpose)...... and Dave @qkcuda picked up on it (give that man a cigar); let's talk hood scoops, shall we?

the main problem with 67 GTX scoops, is they are tiny........ and the "back cut" opening is less than aggressive in appearance.

if you remove the bezel mounting area, they offer a "mail slot" to pull any air through, which in no way would work for any type of "air grabber" type set up......

but if the trapezoid shape scoop is extended, the size of the opening quickly increases in both height and width; and a "front cut" looks more the aggressive part, and also hides the hole.......now it can grab some air

so utilizing things I have lying around the shop; I cut groves into the four corners of the opening and built a cage; doing the same exact things to each scoop..... the area where the original bezel mounts is removed, just not in the early pics

View attachment 1664920View attachment 1664921

I'll fast forward through step 2 (ancient Chinese secret), and get to some fiberglass......
I managed to keep everything the same thickness as the rest of the scoop;

View attachment 1664925View attachment 1664924

and the evolution continues with a little filler work......

also...... the hood peaks in the center and runs slightly down hill to the fenders; the outer side of the scoop in angled different than the inner side, so as to lift the outer and make the scoops sit level

View attachment 1664926View attachment 1664927

not sure yet of how we will paint them, it is currently in high level discussion; we have a few options.......

but most importantly, after rounding off the sharp corners; we have a nice set of bookends to work with......

I honestly had no plan; when I came upon a small pile of stainless rods; a lightbulb came on and I just went with it

View attachment 1664929
The scoops look fantastic! What I really like about them is that they are disguised in plain sight - they are different, but it takes an extra look and some experience to see that they are different. This is the whole idea with my 70 Road Runner. (And I may just have been a little bit of influence since Barry has spent many hours behind the wheel of my 70 :fool: )

I think I prefer blue on the sides and the black stripe over the top.
Agree. I definitely think they need some blue body color on them - otherwise they will look like some JC Whitney mail order add on! This car is too cool for that...

Agree. I definitely think they need some blue body color on them - otherwise they will look like some JC Whitney mail order add on! This car is too cool for that...

that sells it for me........ they definitely ain't JC Whitney :D

Auto Transport Service
Back