• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advise on manifold sealing INDY 440-3

2quick

Local time
9:55 AM
Reaction score
So I got the manifold back from Willson and test fit on heads. They are 440-1 (345cc). Chambers were worked on, then heads decked to keep CC correct. This was all done by INDY in their 345 cnc package.

With a .015 gasket I can install bolts but they are at the very top of the slot hole (Meaning the intake cant go down much more)
The port line up pretty good from what I can see with a flash light.

Problem is I can slip a .010 feeler gauge between the intake flange and the intake gasket only on one side (the opposite side of whichever side I tightened down first) only at the top! The bottom touches all the way across just beyond the mounting bolts on the lower portion.

Almost looks as if the angle is wrong. Looks like it needs to be wider then 90deg to sit flush with head surface.

INDY 572 MAXX block, INDY heads, INDY 440-3 Intake

Not sure if I need to add a thicker gasket or mill the intake. Milling intake would require elongating the bolt holes. Adding thicker gasket would bring bolt holes to a middle (proper position)

Last edited:
You can see the feeler guage in the port in the one pic. Only the upper half is not touching. I would think that adding thicker gaskets would move the entire intake up but i don’t believe it would change the angle. You can also see the light between the intake and head when I shine a light down the port. The bolts have a good amount of torque on then say 20lbs in this pic. The bottom of flange (hidden by oil line) is touching and tight against head.

IMG_2569.jpeg

IMG_2564.jpeg

IMG_2565.jpeg

I ran into that once also. My problem was a result of the head deck surface had been cut but not the intake surface. The intake sat too high. My heads needed to be cut on the intake surface to correct. I don’t recall having an angle difference though like you have. Following.

So I got the manifold back from Willson and test fit on heads. They are 440-1 (345cc). Chambers were worked on, then heads decked to keep CC correct. This was all done by INDY in their 345 cnc package.

With a .015 gasket I can install bolts but they are at the very top of the slot hole (Meaning the intake cant go down much more)
The port line up pretty good from what I can see with a flash light.

Problem is I can slip a .010 feeler gauge between the intake flange and the intake gasket only on one side (the opposite side of whichever side I tightened down first) only at the top! The bottom touches all the way across just beyond the mounting bolts on the lower portion.

Almost looks as if the angle is wrong. Looks like it needs to be wider then 90deg to sit flush with head surface.

INDY 572 MAXX block, INDY heads, INDY 440-3 Intake

Not sure if I need to add a thicker gasket or mill the intake. Milling intake would require elongating the bolt holes. Adding thicker gasket would bring bolt holes to a middle (proper position)
What made you start with a .015 gasket?

Ithink I would put the other intake on to check if the problem remained, to see if it is the intake that is at fault or if the original intake has the same fitment then it is the head surface that is wrong. I hope you can follow what I'm saying. ruffcut

If yor engine is all together, this is what I would do, in this order. Dry fit the manifold and determine angle variation. Machine manifold ito correct. Line up ports using gasket thickness. Modify holes in manfold if necessary.

If yor engine is all together, this is what I would do, in this order. Dry fit the manifold and determine angle variation. Machine manifold ito correct. Line up ports using gasket thickness. Modify holes in manfold if necessary.
That would be the simple fix and I considered that as well. I ended up just fixing the head issue on mine. Hopefully it’s just the 4500 intake with 2quicks fitment.

I would test-fit the intake by only bolting it to one head and then you can feeler-check the top and bottom of the "open side".
Take those figures and figure the angle. Cut the intake to the corresponding angle and then install it with a set of intake gaskets
from Hughes Engines. They make a couple of different thickness gasket sets.
20220415_120434.jpg

Make sure:
- the intake is not sitting on the china wall
- the intake s not touching the c/wall hold downs.

Ithink I would put the other intake on to check if the problem remained, to see if it is the intake that is at fault or if the original intake has the same fitment then it is the head surface that is wrong. I hope you can follow what I'm saying. ruffcut
The original manifold was cut to fit old motor. Don’t remember what i took off but the angle remained consistent.

I would test-fit the intake by only bolting it to one head and then you can feeler-check the top and bottom of the "open side".
Take those figures and figure the angle. Cut the intake to the corresponding angle and then install it with a set of intake gaskets
from Hughes Engines. They make a couple of different thickness gasket sets.View attachment 1655835
This is exactly what you see in the pictures above. One side bolted then the other. It did have gaskets though. They are glued on head side and dont come off without destroying them. I guess ill get them off and dry fit again.

In the middle of remodeling my kitchen so response time will be spotty. Never ends!

Ha! I'm in the middle of remodeling my Master Bath! Sticker shock on prices!

When you start mixing and matching, milling and drilling, you have to make a lot of adjustments to keep the ports lined up.

The heads on my 499RB have been milled .060" and I have a .100" aluminum valley pan that I need because of the height the intake ports are now.

Long story short I've had to mill the China walls to make it all work and I also have elongated bolt holes in the intake.

You just have to do whatever is necessary to keep the top of the intake ports on the head and the intake matching.

Tom

Ha! I'm in the middle of remodeling my Master Bath! Sticker shock on prices!
You ain't kidding 18k for cabinets and that after 40% off cause I spent more then 30k.....Lowes...

When you start mixing and matching, milling and drilling, you have to make a lot of adjustments to keep the ports lined up.

The heads on my 499RB have been milled .060" and I have a .100" aluminum valley pan that I need because of the height the intake ports are now.

Long story short I've had to mill the China walls to make it all work and I also have elongated bolt holes in the intake.

You just have to do whatever is necessary to keep the top of the intake ports on the head and the intake matching.

Tom
Yea I get port alignment, but why does the angle seems off. Who knows!

Auto Transport Service
Back