• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

‘68 console column interchange with ‘66?

1KoolBee

Local time
6:07 PM
Reaction score
So I have a ‘66 satellite that I’d like to swap in a ‘collapsible’ column from a ‘68 R/T for better crash safety. Will the ‘68 column fit a ‘66 without mods? Or do I need to find a ‘67 column?

Your 66 Satellite's dash will not accept a 67, or 68 column. The mounting point is too small in diameter for those aformentioned columns. There are other threads where this is mentioned.

I’ve done a 68 into a 67. The under column mounts are the same for those years and there is some wiring that needs changed. I assume the wiring issues will be similar with the 66 but I’m not familiar with how the 66 column mounts under the dash.

It’s been a while since I did this but if I recall the wiring has to do with either the reverse lights or the park safety switch. I had both a 67 and 69 fsm and just compared wiring diagrams. It ended up being pretty simple if I recall.

I’ve done a 68 into a 67. The under column mounts are the same for those years and there is some wiring that needs changed. I assume the wiring issues will be similar with the 66 but I’m not familiar with how the 66 column mounts under the dash.

It’s been a while since I did this but if I recall the wiring has to do with either the reverse lights or the park safety switch. I had both a 67 and 69 fsm and just compared wiring diagrams. It ended up being pretty simple if I recall.
The diameter of the 66 dash mounting point is too small in diameter. 68, 67 samey same.

Oddly enough before I had considered different column sizes, about 25 years ago, I put a 68 column in my 66 drag car.
Wish I could remember the details, but it's doable.

Oddly enough before I had considered different column sizes, about 25 years ago, I put a 68 column in my 66 drag car.
Wish I could remember the details, but it's doable.
Anything is doable with a BFH :)

Things are more doable when you put a manual box in , and that's the only thing you got to steer your car at the track the next day! :p
Pretty sure no hammers were involved though.
Now I'm curious in retrospect. I would have to move a bunch of **** to get into that car.

Things are more doable when you put a manual box in , and that's the only thing you got to steer your car at the track the next day! :p
Pretty sure no hammers were involved though.
Now I'm curious in retrospect. I would have to move a bunch of **** to get into that car.
Just stick a 67 dash in your 66. Zulu two zero actual...out

if I use my ratchet as a hammer, does that count?

and don't tell us you've never done it :poke:
Thanks for fact checking the myth in my head about that. Yes, it's a 66 column in there with a 70 wheel. Now I'm thinking we tried one, but had to fall back on the column shift 66.
:luvplace:

Auto Transport Service
Back