• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1.4 Turbo Timing Belt Renegade Dart 500

Bee1971

Local time
7:21 PM
Reaction score
Anyone replace a timing belt on a 1.4 Turbo / Jeep Renegade to bee exact - 100K is approaching and seven years old knock on wood

Any reason why I can’t mark the old belt cogs , mark the top camshaft gear any tooth with a head mark , mark the crankshaft gear any tooth with a block mark , release the tensioner and put on a new Mopar Timing belt / new Tensioner without locking everything in place with all these fancy tools and removing the vacuum pump and and and - Pretty sure I need a tensioner tool , possible water pump , Turn it over by hand a few times with new Timing belt and locate marks , have to adjust tensioner - Thanx Scott

Anyone ?

What brand of timing belt? I won’t use anything other than OEM.

OEM Mopar
68584937AA

Now the tensioner is another story , back ordered for like ever ever ever

Called multiple local dealers

Part# has superseded like a million

Use oem , patience patience patience! You may have to rock the gear a little one way or the other to achieve perfection before applying the tensioner. After applying the tensioner slowly by hand small ratchet rotate the engine in the correct direction and then bring the marks back together and verify...some you need to play with preload before applying tension. Take your time !

Awesome - Thanx

Roger Patience - Looking to tackle hopefully in the next few weeks or weekend

The tensioner still in progress (I wonder what dealers are using to get by ?)

I guess that’s why I was asking about marking everything precisely , if your not removing the bolt for the camshaft gear , in reality

What if you were to slice the existing belt in half along the width.
Remove the front portion of the cut belt thus giving you room to install the new timing belt in front of the existing narrow timing belt.
Then cut off the rest of the old timing belt and move the new belt into position.
This way nothing else is disturbed.

The locking kit is only $35 on ebay or amazon.

A guy in my shop complex told me the cut in half trick a few weeks ago.
I thought it was genius.

I just turned 105,000 on mine and it's in the garage on the waiting list.

Unfortunately we had a tenant skip out and are turning over the rental house instead.

But you have to pull the vacuum pump , find a gasket , do all that extra work on that side of the motor for the locking tool

When in reality , why remove the camshaft gear ???

Now if the belt broke , obviously that might bee a different conversation all together

It’s not about the $35 tool kit

Anyways , just thinking out loud

The important part is if the cam gear springs out of position if the belt was cut.

But you have to pull the vacuum pump , find a gasket , do all that extra work on that side of the motor for the locking tool

When in reality , why remove the camshaft gear ???

Now if the belt broke , obviously that might bee a different conversation all together

It’s not about the $35 tool kit

Anyways , just thinking out loud

The instructions and the video don't say or show anything about those things.

The important part is if the cam gear springs out of position if the belt was cut.

You cut the belt long ways around.
Why would a gear spring out?

Spring out of the position that one thought it would stay in. From the cam lobes wanting to turn the cam.
Interesting on cutting the belt lengthwise. Sounds tedious. Might be just as quick to do ti the right way.

This guy does not use the lock kit.
...but the procedure is demonstrated.

I've got another one somewhere showing the locking kit.

Had to reread through again.
The lock kit will be advised for one or two reasons. A) the cam will turn under spring pressure, B) you have to remove the cam gear if seal replacement is required.
And if they're like the 3.5s, there is no cam key, so you have to have everything together before you can final torque the sprocket up

With specialty tools...

I had to hold the cams on my 4.7 and just made a flat bar to bolt them in place.

1.4 T-Jet Europe

And The

1.4 Multi-Air Turbo found in the USA on the Jeep Renegades are different engines different
versions

Then you have the early versions of the 1.4 Multi-Air Turbo that was found in the Fiat 500 and Dodge Dart

Anyways

Is that "camshaft pulley retaining tool" "just" a spanner wrench?

Why doesn't the kit with the belt, sometimes the tensioner, water pump, and water pump gasket come with a vacuum pump gasket?

I've seen a dozen and none do.

Auto Transport Service
Back