• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 - 1965 Steel Wheels

I just had The Mopar Dude in Burlington, KS make up some 15x10 rears with the big hubcap centers. I've been using 15x8 wheel vintiques on the rear but need more traction. I brought him the centers out of 15x5 wheels and he welded on Speedway shells.

20160507_150205.jpg

I just had The Mopar Dude in Burlington, KS make up some 15x10 rears with the big hubcap centers. I've been using 15x8 wheel vintiques on the rear but need more traction. I brought him the centers out of 15x5 wheels and he welded on Speedway shells.

View attachment 335931

Mark, you might try getting that front end up a few feet to help with traction, LOL.

We had a custom wheel shop that did widening here in Denver until recently. I used to take all my wheels there. If you were lucky to find the K wheels they were at least $100/set from the yard. Then $120/pr. for 15X8 rear shells, $110/pr. for 15x6/7 front shells, about $200/set in labor to remove center and install in new shell with custom BS, plus bead blast and powder coat. Not unusual to spend $700 on a set of custom steelies.

I can understand why guys rig large caps over small cap wheels. One vendor out there charges $600/set for bare 15X5/5.5 K wheels.

Personally, I run a 15X6 custom front wheel with least amount of BS the press foot would allow and run the Diplomat spindles and discs, no rubbing what so ever.

These are allegedly the correct over the counter 15X6/6.5 that guys used on Maxies and A-990's but don't hold me to it. Just passing it along...
IMG_0090.JPG

Thanks threewood. Your pic is great for showing just how much room you have on these '62s. Not a lot for a 60 series tire.
I owned a '64 Dodge, Polara 500 back in the day. I had 50 series tires on Cragars, under the back of that car. Don't know what backspace but im pretty sure they were 10" rims. Bought the wheels and tires from a friend that had them on a Mustang. The passenger tire would rub if I had someone in the back seat. Later on, I replaced the 8 3/4 with a Dana 60 and had equal clearance on both sides without any rubbing. A lot more fender well on those compared to the '62s...

20160216_103819_zpsb8szpjzb.jpg

While we are on the subject, can someone identify this wheel. I found 4 of em and they are free. 4.5x5 bolt pattern, 15x6.5, chromed, large hub cap mounting nubs. I'm pretty sure they will work, maybe not correct though. I didn't measure the hub which may be the deciding factor.
20160216_103744_zpstdommg1r.jpg

Last edited:
I would get a set of the Speedway wheels if I were sure the larger dog dish caps would fit on them. Can someone confirm? A review on the Speedway site claimed dog dish caps didn't fit.

20160216_103819_zpsb8szpjzb.jpg

While we are on the subject, can someone identify this wheel. I found 4 of em and they are free. 4.5x5 bolt pattern, 15x6.5, chromed, large hub cap mounting nubs. I'm pretty sure they will work, maybe not correct though. I didn't measure the hub which may be the deciding factor.
20160216_103744_zpstdommg1r.jpg

Confirm the register is 2 ¾" and if so grab them. Can't say I've seen them before. When you get a tire dismounted you'll find a bunch of info and a 5 digit sequence stamped between the beads.

4.25 seems to be the norm from what I've seen.
4.25 is farther away from the leaf springs than 4.5 but closer to the fender edge. Should give you 3/4" clearance there with a 60 series tire.

With my 4.5" BS and 275/60 tires, I get no rubbing on the inside, but some rubbing on the outside to fender lip with a car load of passengers.

These pics are of the steel wheels I run now. They are actually 15 x 7" wheels as they fit better then my 15 x 8's. I run the Hoosier 30 x 9 radial slicks on these wheels and the car hooks great on them with a best 60 of 1.50 running 10.70's on just SS springs and the Mopar longer shocks. Ron

100_1962_zps32227bf7.jpg

Last edited:
I know there has been discussions on these before but I need some clarifications.

My first pic is of the Vintiques 63 series wheel.
Isn't the design from the 70's and not the 60's ? I'm not too keen on the smoother look for my '62.

Second picture is what Speedway Motors offers. I'm thinking this is the design for '62-'65 Mopars.

I'm not worried about any dog dish cap fitment. I'm not useing them.

The Vintiques advertise a 2.875 center hole.
The Speedway Motors wheel has a 2.840 center hole. 2.840 is what my factory 14" wheels measure. I don't think the.035 difference will be a problem. My only concern is if a upgraded front disk hub would be to big for 2.840 center hole.

Thanks in advance for any input or experiences.
I've got to thank the khryslerkid for this thread. I've been looking for more correct wheels for a long time. If you hadn't started this thread I would have never known of Speedway Motors. Thanks! They look great!

View attachment 343929

IMG_1223.JPG

Last edited:
Well you're very welcome DI ! They do look nice!

I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on wheels just yet but real soon. Trying to get the engine together and installed first. Getting close.

Are those 15" x 8" with 4.5" back space? Are you painting them or powder coating?

For them to be perfect they need the four openings in the center along the rim. But I'm willing to overlook that, for the fact they look more correct, for the '60's cars, than the Vintiques. The Vintiques have the 70's look.

Screenshot_2016-06-16-22-54-33.jpg

They are close enough for me. My car is nothing rare and is far from a correct restoration. Yes I got the 15x8s with 4 1/2 back space.

Forgot to say... yes I'm painting them. My car has a 1970s $99 incorrect white paint job. I'm in the process of doing a color change to 1964 Chrysler Formal Black. I shot the engine bay when the motor was out, so the wheels are next. I'm no pro, but I paint stuff with a spray gun myself.

The Speedway Motors wheels are made by Wheel Smith (website with the same name). I got them all painted 1964 Chrysler Formal Black with new stems. I'm off to the tire shop for new shoes.

I know they are all over eBay, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has any dog dish' like pictured.

IMG_1235.JPG IMG_1236.JPG dog dish.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back