• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1962 Radio/speaker removal

guardian1fox2

Local time
4:08 PM
Reaction score
Hi!

Just recently purchased a 62 fury, and the previous owner told me the guy he got it from said the radio worked, but he never had it come on. I want to leave the radio alone; but would like to wire the speaker to like a little Bluetooth transmitter in the glove box so I can listen to my oldie tunes lol. I ordered a service manual, but I wanted to ask so I could go ahead and try and do this one day this week. I figure if I can pull speaker I can just disconnect it from radio and run it to the transmitter easily. Thanks!

Hi!

Just recently purchased a 62 fury, and the previous owner told me the guy he got it from said the radio worked, but he never had it come on. I want to leave the radio alone; but would like to wire the speaker to like a little Bluetooth transmitter in the glove box so I can listen to my oldie tunes lol. I ordered a service manual, but I wanted to ask so I could go ahead and try and do this one day this week. I figure if I can pull speaker I can just disconnect it from radio and run it to the transmitter easily. Thanks!
If it's an original grille i believe they are just held in with clips.. BUT they are insanely fragile.. the odds of getting it out without breaking it are well... very low..

ahh yup.. a clip on each top corner... New ones aren't as expensive as i expected.. need to find one in gray..
1720211129110.png

May be able to pull radio and leave the grill alone and just unplug speaker that way.
there is a lot of room to work under that dash... until you put the seat in.. without the seat it's cake though. And the BT to the speaker is a good idea.. i might have to do that if i ever get mine going

my radio does work though.. kinda wanna keep it.. am thinking of just using a BT speaker to listen to podcasts and such

my radio does work though.. kinda wanna keep it.. am thinking of just using a BT speaker to listen to podcasts and such
Yeah I’m sure it’s just a fuse, but I don’t wanna have to mess with an AM transmitter. There’s a really cool device that wires up and it’s basically a small Bluetooth amplifier that’s keyed power. Start your car and start playing anything from your phone thru original speaker/s

Yeah I’m sure it’s just a fuse, but I don’t wanna have to mess with an AM transmitter. There’s a really cool device that wires up and it’s basically a small Bluetooth amplifier that’s keyed power. Start your car and start playing anything from your phone thru original speaker/s
Yeah.. i would like to have a normal radio but i can't bring myself to cut holes in the rear package tray

Oh nice, how do you get the clips out of bottom first? Can you reach behind or something?
I used a plastic trim removal tool to wedge in under the bottom edge of the grill. (On the outside of the dash) If you can reach in from under the dash you can feel the tabs. Apply a small amount of Vaseline on the tabs before prying them out. They are rather dry from all the years in seclusion.

I used a plastic trim removal tool to wedge in under the bottom edge of the grill. (On the outside of the dash) If you can reach in from under the dash you can feel the tabs. Apply a small amount of Vaseline on the tabs before prying them out. They are rather dry from all the years in seclusion.
Thank you for the advice!

I fitted my grill upside down and I ended having to snap the top tabs as i couldn’t get the grille out with gentle persuasion. I think the only colours they do the new grilles in are red, tan & blue. I needed a black one, so bought a red and sprayed it….easy enough to do.

I fitted my grill upside down and I ended having to snap the top tabs as i couldn’t get the grille out with gentle persuasion. I think the only colours they do the new grilles in are red, tan & blue. I needed a black one, so bought a red and sprayed it….easy enough to do.
Yeah mine is this mint green color…may be hard to match but I can try if it breaks. I may just try to do it without removing. Anyone know what the factory color was called for this mint green exterior on my Plymouth?
IMG_0121.jpeg
IMG_0051.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back