• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 phoenix 318 poly

Ttotired

Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I just bought a 64 Phoenix (Australian). The car is in remarkable condition and I suspect it has been off the road for about 30 years going by the last rego lable on the car.
I bought it knowing the engine wouldnt start because the previous owner was 1/2 way through installing a spin on oil filter conversion. When the car got to my
home, obviously the first thing I wanted to do was get it running. So after finishing off the conversion and getting a very dry engine to be ready to turn over and come back to life
I tried to start it. It was backfiring and carrying on but not starting. The previous owner also fitted a new distributor, so I went down the road of checking the timing and re setting it
(it was way off). It still wouldnt go. This was on the first day and it was getting late, so I gave up for the day. second day I double checked my timing set up, removing the left
rocker cover and number 1 spark plug to confirm the timing marks, all good, but still not starting and still backfiring, but it sounded like it wanted to go. I pulled all the plugs, they looked very new
but some were wet and others were dry. This made me pull both rocker covers so I could watch the valves. When I was checking the timing marks, I should have looked at all the rockers instead of concentrating on number 1, anyway, number 7 has big issues. As the engine is turning over,number 7 intake valve is barely moving and 7s exhaust valve is stuck fully open. I tapped the rocker
to see if it was just stuck, but it sounded solid. Time to give up as the car was in the middle of the driveway and it looks like major surgery time so I moved it into my garrage.
That car is heavy to push, I ended up towing it around with my lawn mower :)
Today, we rip into it and see what was the reason it got parked up 30 years ago.

64dodge1.jpg

64 dodge11.jpg

If it's still backfiring I would also just triple check that you're not 180 out, make sure you're on the compression stroke on #1 and not the exhaust.

A Phoenix? Interesting naming for AUS.

:thumbsup:
Spent a bit of time on the timing :) Sadly the suspected rebuilt engine is not the case. Number 7 lifters are stuck with both valves open and this is what it looks like with the intake off. The heat shield under the intake is half rusted off. I am surprised it turned over

64dodgeengine.jpg

Barry Flysher in Melb will probably have parts, gaskets, etc ph: [03] 9481 4543.

Try & keep the Poly. My mate beat a phase 3 GT Falcon with a 2bbl Poly in a 64 Belvedere.

Kind of interesting engine. It has been rebuilt at some point. It is a 61 block and being here in Australia, I assume it would have come from a dodge as that was what we got for a big mopar here. To make it fit the 64 trans, they cut the ears off the original engine (I think, makes sense if the old engine was totaled) and welded them to the 61 block. It has the correct crank to mate to the 64 trans as well. As for the engine itself, it looks like it has leaked coolant (water) into the sump. It looks like it was from the intake gasket. With the amount of silicone alll over this engine, I am not surprised it sprung a leak. The engine has been left with moisture in the oil for some time,rusting the bottom of the intake manifold, which accounts for all the rubbish in the valley. Everything else doesnt look to bad. I do need to replace big end and main bearings because of some scoring but it didnt hurt the crank. This might have happened when I tried to get it going. The sump has had another peice added undr the oil pump and I still cant work out why, so I will put another sump on it (I have a spare). So lots of cleaning to do, but unles another runner turns up really cheap, this one will go back in.

64engine4.jpg

Double check the bore. 313 Polys were used in Aussie built Chrysler Royals. The bore size is slightly smaller at 3.875".

Try & keep the Poly. My mate beat a phase 3 GT Falcon with a 2bbl Poly in a 64 Belvedere.
In what Geoff? A "whose car is the heaviest competition"?
Need some qualification how a 351 Cleveland with high compression, 4V heads, 780 Holley etc, Australian legend was beaten by presumably a 318 poly in the lowest state of tune.

The Aussie legend was more myth than anything. Don't believe the BS you read. Over the 1/4 mile, it was beaten by a 6 cyl Val Charger. I couldn't care what you believe. I driven, & been in both cars, so I know how they perform.

Below is more of the Phase 3 legend/bullshit. 185 mph down Conrod straight, with a car that had the aerodynamics of a brick, & hitting 9000 rpm with a flat tappet cam...
Todays supercars have a LOT more hp, much smoother aerodynamics, & are still 20-30 mph shy of 185.....
Allan Moffatt claimed the 'great' 351 C would 'blow up on the starter motor'...

The Aussie legend was more myth than anything. Don't believe the BS you read. Over the 1/4 mile, it was beaten by a 6 cyl Val Charger. I couldn't care what you believe. I driven, & been in both cars, so I know how they perform.
Good for you Geoff. I've actually owned both cars (not exactly, but similar). I had an XYGT replica for 5 years, auto, 351 clevo, C4, 2.93 axle, 2v stock heads, 600 Holley, used to run 14.5 @ 97mph at Willowbank. If a Phase 3 wouldn't go quicker than that I'd be surprised.

The best my 318 poly got at the same track was 15.3 @ 93 mph, that's with a 3.23 rear, 727, 600 Holley, ported heads, cam, 10.5:1 compression etc.

My 318 LA Barracuda with cam, intake, headers, 600 Holley etc was 15.7 @ 92 mph.

All I was asking was for some context. Was this 1 race between the lights or at the track? Just so the OP doesn't get led down the garden path thinking the Poly is some giant killer out of the box. Sure they can be made to perform and I love mine, but there's time, costs and effort involved. Might be better swapping in a 440, or a 360 or something.

Anyway, on a lighter note I sold the XY GT for $10k in 2005, just before prices went ballistic. Dumb decision. If I'd have held onto it for only 2 more years it would have been worth maybe 5-10 times as much.

A guy I know claims to have owned a very rare ford falcon gt something 4dr I believe that has ended up going for 500g. ( in Australia)
This sound plausible/ possible??

He has shown pics of being in a magazine or newspaper hanging out with Carrol Shelby down there. Way back

A guy I know claims to have owned a very rare ford falcon gt something 4dr I believe that has ended up going for 500g. ( in Australia)
This sound plausible/ possible??

He has shown pics of being in a magazine or newspaper hanging out with Carrol Shelby down there. Way back
100% true. Probably an XY GT, but XW, XA, XB and XC models also fetch big bucks.

Despite some not liking Ford, they were good cars, with mechanical similarities to the Boss 351 Mustangs.

No match for a 318 Poly 2 barrel though...

IMG_E3510.jpg

ford-falcon-xy-gtho-phase-iii-engine-bay.jpg

I was drag racing when the GT Falcons were at their peak. The 4V Cleveland had large 2.19" intake valves. They were also long valves because of the large ports. So the valves were heavy. They also had 1.73 ratio rockers. All that reqd very strong valve springs. It was not uncommon to see a GT going home on a tow truck....having dropped an intake valve. They were a two piece welded valve.

The folklore about these cars in this country was incredible. In the US, they would have just been ticks in the option box on the order form.

Auto Transport Service
Back