• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Belvedere 2 318 wideblock Help me please

Mopar1stNations

Local time
4:06 PM
Reaction score
Good morning if your in BC, I just purchased a 1966 Belvedere 2, the transmission slips and the engine blows blue, both are obviously very tired and either need replacing or rebuilding, I would like to opinions on what to do, moneywise I should be able to afford either, one thing I do know its very hard to find a 340 for either rebuilding or a good runner to buy. Can a 318 wide block be upgraded to tire burning power lo
B2.jpeg
l, anyways if you have a lead or some good info to get me where i need to go it would be very appreciated...xcc

Good morning if your in BC, I just purchased a 1966 Belvedere 2, the transmission slips and the engine blows blue, both are obviously very tired and either need replacing or rebuilding, I would like to opinions on what to do, moneywise I should be able to afford either, one thing I do know its very hard to find a 340 for either rebuilding or a good runner to buy. Can a 318 wide block be upgraded to tire burning power loView attachment 1715083l, anyways if you have a lead or some good info to get me where i need to go it would be very appreciated...xcc
Welcome. You can do a ot to a Poly to make power like a LA including stroking to 390+ cubes. It just costs more money. It's all your choice and what your pocketbook can handle. Rebuild what you have,build up what you have, replace what you have. It is all up to you. The 5.2 and 5.9 Magnums (318 and 360) are nice engines, roller cam and all. THat might be an option. Even find a overdrive transmission to go with it. THose cars run well with a 383 under the hood and many guys opt for the 440. Go crazy with a 426 Hemi or there's always the Gen 3 Hemi swap.

Welcome.
The "wide block" description is a myth, the block of your engine is the same as any other Poly-LA or Magnum series engine. The heads are wider but the block itself has the same overall size.
Yes, that engine can be built to make power but a cheaper and easier way to go might be as stated above, using an engine from the next generation. A "Magnum" series LA engine, a third generation Hemi, a 383-400-440 big block is a lot easier to make power with.

Welcome.
The "wide block" description is a myth, the block of your engine is the same as any other Poly-LA or Magnum series engine. The heads are wider but the block itself has the same overall size.
Yes, that engine can be built to make power but a cheaper and easier way to go might be as stated above, using an engine from the next generation. A "Magnum" series LA engine, a third generation Hemi, a 383-400-440 big block is a lot easier to make power with.
They tried calling it wide- head, but sounded shitty :lol:

If it were mine it would have a motorhome, or smog 440 in 2 seconds.
( or better if the wallet runs deep)

There are pet names with our cars, many other cars too...that are not 100% accurate.
The 71-72 Duster Sharktooth Grille is a cool name but I don't see the connection. The 71 Cuda with the Cheesegrater grille makes sense though.
Muncie "Rock Crusher" transmission ? That was a cool name.

Welcome. You can do a ot to a Poly to make power like a LA including stroking to 390+ cubes. It just costs more money. It's all your choice and what your pocketbook can handle. Rebuild what you have,build up what you have, replace what you have. It is all up to you. The 5.2 and 5.9 Magnums (318 and 360) are nice engines, roller cam and all. THat might be an option. Even find a overdrive transmission to go with it. THose cars run well with a 383 under the hood and many guys opt for the 440. Go crazy with a 426 Hemi or there's always the Gen 3 Hemi swap.
Hey ty for the reply, I will reach out to some engine rebuilders, thanks for the tips bud...

There are pet names with our cars, many other cars too...that are not 100% accurate.
The 71-72 Duster Sharktooth Grille is a cool name but I don't see the connection. The 71 Cuda with the Cheesegrater grille makes sense though.
Muncie "Rock Crusher" transmission ? That was a cool name.
It's definitely the cool part about linguistics,,
" HEY THATS NOT AN ELEPHANT MOTOR. NOT EVEN CLOSE." oops sorry it's a 426cubic inch hemishperical head engine

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

good luck what ever you decide to do in the engine swap
some good suggestions already

1. The Poly can definitely be improved, but depends on you goals/personality. Street cruiser or street/strip bruiser?

2. If you want power easily and economically get rid of it and get a 440.

3. If you want something different and enjoy the challenge, and your goal is the equivalent of stock or mildly modified 440 type power then stick with the poly. It's very reliable and you get some of the coolest valve covers out there.

4. I would have to say the sensible option for most people is to go 440 from the start.

I didn't because I always want more power.

If I started with a 440 I'd be going up in 50-100hp increments and end up at 600hp. With the Poly I go up in 5-10hp increments and get the same satisfaction.

Hope that makes sense.

20231003_180546.jpg

Welcome from Alabama, that looks like a great start. Mechanical upgrades are much easier than other parts of a restoration.

Check out magnumswaps .com

It lists what's required to put a 92-02 5.2 or 5.9 roller cam Magnum engine in.

Even in "stock" form, it's about a hundred HP increase over the 66 poly 318.

Likely can be "all in" under 5K or even less.

I do likes me a poly, but they are very difficult to find parts for and expensive to build to end up with a built 318.

You can find a 5.9 magnum pretty easily.
They are excellent engines.
or the easy way buy one from an established crate engine place Blueprint ATK etc...
I think they even have a warranty.
1724420217594.png

Check out magnumswaps .com

It lists what's required to put a 92-02 5.2 or 5.9 roller cam Magnum engine in.

Even in "stock" form, it's about a hundred HP increase over the 66 poly 318.

Likely can be "all in" under 5K or even less.

I do likes me a poly, but they are very difficult to find parts for and expensive to build to end up with a built 318.
THere's a forum on FABO. Magnum Engine Swaps

Auto Transport Service
Back