• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Charger brake issues

BamaCharger66

Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score
I’ve done drum brakes before a couple times on land cruisers. So, I get the overall concept of a drum brake system.

My 66 Charger’s power brake setup (master and booster) were completely shot. I replaced them with a non booster dual reservoir. I bolted to firewall and hooked up existing threaded brake lines (2). Started in rear with new shoes, wheels cylinder, rubber line to a junction block that splits and feeds the two rear brakes. I bled them. Getting some fluid out of bleeders. But not at the velocity that it should be.

A major reason for this is that I only have like 2 inches of brake pedal travel. I did use the booster’s push rod. Not the old master cylinder’s. It was rusted and pitted pretty badly. So, I used the booster’s rod that remained attached to the brake pedal once I snatched the booster off.

Is this pushrod wrong for a master cylinder? It fits into the MC but seems to be bottoming out after only an inch or two of travel. I did see where the push rods diameter gets thicker going towards the pedal. Wondering if it’s bottoming out? Or, there’s old fluid and rust in the lines. Thoughts/suggestions?

Think the length of the pushrod may well be the incorrect length for this dual pot MC since you have eliminated the booster. Did you bleed the MC before you installed it ?

Last edited:
Isn't the distribution block different from the single reservoir?

Auto Transport Service
Back