• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet BB, is there a Ground from Engine to Body?

Nxcoupe

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:02 AM
Reaction score
Is there a ground wire from the engine to the body on a 66 Coronet 361? It would make sense that there is one, but where's the location of this ground wire? The battery ground goes to the intake bolt, driver's front. Anyone have an idea or was there ever even one on it? Thanks in advance.

Yes it had one running from passenger rear intake bolt to the firewall near ballast and volt regulator.

Yes it had one running from passenger rear intake bolt to the firewall near ballast and volt regulator.
It was bolted directly to the head with a special short bolt

Don't believe the battery ground went to an intake bolt, should be cyl head.

3/8x16 intake mounting Bolt through the intake into the cylinder head. One of the 8 holding the intake on.

The body ground on both of my 66's is on the rear vertical part of the passenger side head.-

Thanks guys. I will go look and verify if I have one or not

I bought a negative cable with the extra 8 gauge wire on it and attached it to the body, and also put one on the left rear cyl head to the firewall next to the voltage regulator. I know thats not "correct" but I think these cars need more ground bonding, you cant have too much.

The body ground on both of my 66's is on the rear vertical part of the passenger side head.-
On a BB, the back end of the passenger side head has no bolt holes.
I don’t know the correct location of where the body ground was attached to the engine for the OP’s car, but I would have guessed the “extra” bolt hole on the intake surface of the head would be a logical place.

20240716_121945.jpg

On a BB, the back end of the passenger side head has no bolt holes.
I don’t know the correct location of where the body ground was attached to the engine for the OP’s car, but I would have guessed the “extra” bolt hole on the intake surface of the head would be a logical place.
Sorry I worded that incorrectly.

flat surface of pass side head to firewall. just to the right and slightly above the heater hose fitting ( as looking from the front )

After having a friend have a issue of there parking brake cable glowing when cranking, I have added extra ground wires around the motor mounts to frame. Hard to see and also works well. When I had the battery in the trunk ran extra cable to transmission ear near starter. That one is harder to hide. Stock was above mentioned cable.

I found mine. I am going to loosen and clean both ends. Now I have to figure out why my gauges are losing ground.

I found mine. I am going to loosen and clean both ends. Now I have to figure out why my gauges are losing ground.
Are they losing ground or perhaps the voltage limiter is not providing power?
Or bad circuit board connection.
The tubular pins are prone to cracking off.

Are they losing ground or perhaps the voltage limiter is not providing power?
Or bad circuit board connection.
The tubular pins are prone to cracking off.
They were working up until I loaded it up Sunday. Just reading about half of what they should. I'm assuming resistance in the ground circuit. Anyone got a good way to ground the dash gauges?

Auto Transport Service
Back