• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Plymouth Satellite Rear bumper brackets, painted or just anodized finish factory ?

SatelliteOfLove

Local time
5:44 AM
Reaction score
1966 Plymouth Satellite Rear bumper brackets, painted or anodized finish from factory?

Pretty sure they can’t anodize steel. Always painted as far as I can determine on my cars.

Do you mean galvanized?

Pretty sure the ones on my 67's are/were painted black.

Mine look like they had some paint......black but there wasn't much on them lol

Painted black, and I believe actually dipped, like a lot of other parts.

Do you mean galvanized?

Pretty sure the ones on my 67's are/were painted black.
Yeah, I bet he meant galvanized. But they didn’t use much (if any) galvanized steel back in the mid-60s

Hello everyone.
Took mine down to local sand blaster shop, sandblasted them clean.
They are definitely anodized, almost gold in color.
So pretty. I kind of want to get them re-anodized.
To make sure they are completely covered.

Last edited:
Picture doesn't really show the color, but definitely an anodizing sanding off the sand blasting residue has revealed it. But finish is now compromised by sanding.

Or maybe just a reflection off another surface. Factory builds did some wonderful things back in the day.

39383B50-84D7-4762-98B3-D7096CFD4545.jpeg

Picture doesn't really show the color, but definitely an anodizing sanding off the sand blasting residue has revealed it. But finish is now compromised by sanding.

View attachment 1364149
Like mentioned before.....can't anodize steel. It can be plated though and it's possible that someone before you got the car did that?

To me, it looks like plain steel in your pic..... it looks like it was sandblasted clean, and then wire brushed (or wirewheeled). You could now treat and coat with Clear POR-15 and it will look like that and glossy indefinitely if not in direct sun for extended amount of time.

Thank you regarding the anodizing.
Terminology of an amateur.
ElectroPlating.

Electroplating and powder coating shops for small automotive builds are getting few and far between.

Yes did use a wire wheel on deeper pitted areas, then hand sanded.

Prepped ready for primer and paint now, as most responses here have stated black paint.

Last edited:
Prepped ready for primer and paint now, as most responses here have stated black paint.
Obviously going to be the most popular and maybe safest approach. I wonder if anyone knows for sure tho; how did they leave the factory??? Just curious, don't mean to hijack. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A couple shots I have stored of mine. You can see the front bumper brackets. As it came off the assembly line, never removed. Dipped black and spattered in undercoating. Let me see if I can find some of the back, but I'd imagine the same...

1966plymouthsathp2cleanup 003.jpg
1966plymouthsathp2cleanup 012.jpg

Last edited:
Dipping in black paint is out for me .
I will be priming and spray bombing,
installing a bit of undercoating, no problem.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back