• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 440/727 junkyard motor value?

dusted72

Local time
4:27 PM
Reaction score
What would one be worth complete everything? Its a good rebuildable core, not locked up. Everything from carb to pan fan to slip yoke. Asked on FABO thought I would ask here too.

Is it the h.p 440...There is a differnce you know....It should have a maltese or some call it a german cross on the pad next to the distributor...Then maybe an h.p. also..
67 GTX

No difference except the exhaust manifolds and advance curve in the distributor. What would make it an "hp" is all gonna be replaced in a rebuild anyway

I've seen them as cheap as $400 and as much as $1500.My break point is $700 but I'm cheap.

Fury wagon? Then it should have a 4 gear front planetary in the trans. Makes it a bit slower, but much beefier

Thanks guys he is wanting $450 and I have to remove it. So I think it's a good deal then.

To be more correct, you would have to note that the camshaft is also different between the standard 440 and the Magnum engine. $450 is a good deal in most parts of the country of which I am aware of.

Is it the h.p 440...There is a differnce you know....It should have a maltese or some call it a german cross on the pad next to the distributor...Then maybe an h.p. also..
67 GTX

The cross has nothing to do with being a H.P. The cross is for oversized bearings if I remember correctly.

Yeah yeah yeah....cam, valve springs, curve, exhaust manifolds yadda yadda. MY point was that EVERYTHING internal that makes it a "magnum" or "HP" if you prefer, will be replaced during a rebuild.

So they don't matter

Yeah yeah yeah....cam, valve springs, curve, exhaust manifolds yadda yadda. MY point was that EVERYTHING internal that makes it a "magnum" or "HP" if you prefer, will be replaced during a rebuild.

So they don't matter

Actually, they do matter, If the parts are still good, why would you replace them? I have pulled down BB Mopars over the decades with a lot of miles on them which still had many like new internal peices.

Looks like the man is looking for budget power to begin with, so why go through the extra expense of changing things around? Especially if the engine might be a complete Magnum? (or TNT or Super Commando, or the generic "HP", which is the easiest reference to cover them all)

Some people that really want to become part of this hobby don't have unlimited resources.

I don't know many people with "unlimited resources", but using decade old valve springs, used cams and lifters etc is a recipe for disaster. As far as I'm concerned, not replacing original rod bolts after a couple of torquings is asking for trouble.

Ever had one stretch on ya? I have. Cost me a motor while trying to be "on a budget". Stretched AFTER it was run in. So unless you have the tools to check the length of the bolts after they are torqued, and after they have been RUN, then it's a disaster waiting to happen

Looks like this got off topic. to answer the OP's question,$450.00 is a great deal, even out where I live, for a whole drivetrain.

There are no differences between the HP and standard engines (other than "bolt on" level components), so no one would turn down either drivetrain, if they need one, for that price.

I guess good deals are all gone. How about 72 440 with 727 with 323 posi. trade for an old riding mower HA! They were the days

Auto Transport Service
Back