• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 GTX 6.1 Hemi Swap Header Choices

dpaul63

Local time
11:17 AM
Reaction score
In my never ending 68 GTX rest-mod build, I decided to get rid of my 500c.i. stroker and have Joey Arrington build me a 433 c.i. Gen III hemi that is based upon a Mopar aluminum race block. The engine build has been a learning experience, with the most profound discovery being that a Gen III hemi has a reverse oiling system. The good news is that new lifters are coming out that will reverse the existing flow of oil and allow for a much broader choice in rocker arms. Now that I have purchased most of the engine parts from Southeast Performance, my thoughts have turned to header choices for the 6.1 swap. TTI headers are naturally my first choice, but I wanted to ask the forum community if they have used a different brand header and what the results were. I would appreciate any input from the B Body community on header choices. Thanks! DPaul

For those that have viewed my post and not responded, I guess header choices for a Gen III hemi swap isn't as sexy as "what suspension to go with", or vexing questions that others may post. I like TTI headers, but they aren't tuned length. I was hoping that someone that has done a rest-mod with a 6.1 based block might take the time to throw me a bone. So I'll keep my thread up for a few more days just in case they came to this juncture in their build and chose something other than TTI's.

Hooker makes some, but I can't attest to the fitment or quality. I used TTI when I did mine and never looked back. Buy once, cry once.

I used TTIs with my 500 c.i. Stroker and was pleased, but my Gen III 433 c.i. Stroker is a different beast. They make 1 3/4 headers which will hold the TQ right where I need it, and make swap headers. So I guess TTI wins again.

We are currently installing our 6.1 into 70 superbee. Called tti yesterday and ordered what we thought would be the correct set for this car. He called later saying they would not work due to the factory steering box in this car. My question is what do we need to upgrade to get headers to fit? This car has the original k member ride tech suspension correct oil pan etc.

You know the jeep srt8 manifolds flow pretty well and save the headache of firmer with k frames. They are almost like a shorty header...

We are currently installing our 6.1 into 70 superbee. Called tti yesterday and ordered what we thought would be the correct set for this car. He called later saying they would not work due to the factory steering box in this car. My question is what do we need to upgrade to get headers to fit? This car has the original k member ride tech suspension correct oil pan etc.
I used the TTI 61HC-C4 headers on my 6.1 transplant into my 68 Charger. I used the Borgeson steering box in my application though. My headers are 2.5" and I had to ding in the front tube on the left side due to an issue with clearance for the A/C compressor. I would imagine if you ordered the 3" headers there would be some more issues. Not sure though.

I ordered the exact same header but in 3". I was all excited till he called back saying they wouldnt work. Any chance i could get more information on the borgeson steering box i would really appreciate the help?

Unfortunately I don't think there is a true "bolt on" yet unless you are running aftermarket k with power rack..

ResizedImage_1397354624879.jpg
i went with the ttis with my 6.1, but i went with the alterktion. they fit perfect.

I ordered the exact same header but in 3". I was all excited till he called back saying they wouldnt work. Any chance i could get more information on the borgeson steering box i would really appreciate the help?
Here is a picture of my 6.1 with the 2.5 headers and borgeson steering box. I went with the Borgeson box because of the smaller size and half the weight. Plus it can take the higher pressure from the later model pump. The green circled area show how tight the area is with the 2.5 headers. Maybe the 3" header has a different bend in the front tube. It could have been made to fit better IMO but I am happy with the outcome on mine. If I were not running A/C mine would have fit perfectly.
header ding area.jpg

That's almost a close as the hair is to your head or as close as the white is to your eyes now that's close! Great information and pics. Looks really good. Looked at borgeson website today and will plan to go that direction and go with 2.5" headers 61rsa-c4 from tti. Can I ask are you cooling the power steering fluid and have you had any issues with blowing seals? Thanks for all the help!

Another question. Will the factory headers work with the borgeson application? Just curious we haven't
got that far yet I suppose it would be really tight?

That's almost a close as the hair is to your head or as close as the white is to your eyes now that's close! Great information and pics. Looks really good. Looked at borgeson website today and will plan to go that direction and go with 2.5" headers 61rsa-c4 from tti. Can I ask are you cooling the power steering fluid and have you had any issues with blowing seals? Thanks for all the help!
I am not cooling the PS fluid. Have not had any problems with it at all. There are no issues with blowing the seals with the Borgeson unit. That problem is associated with using the old factory steering box. The vintage pumps did not have the higher pressure that the newer pumps provide.
Here is a pic of the plumbing on my Borgeson. I bought the pump, fittings and hose from Bouchillon. I like it because it is a better steering ratio like the new cars have. I think it is 3.5 turns lock to lock.
As far as the factory headers, I was told they would need surgery to turn them down because they are too close to the firewall. I do know that Dream Catcher on this site used the factory headers on his 5.7 install but he moved the engine and transmission forward a couple inches.
100_7357.JPG

Really appreciate the pictures and the help it looks awesome!

Which 2.5 headers are you looking at?

USARoadrunner, which TTI headers did you buy? I am 99.9% sure I'm going with the TTI's, but I'm also looking for other choices.

i bought them from modern muscle, they were tti 2 1/4 long tubes with 3 collectors

Auto Transport Service
Back