• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1968 Steering Shaft spline

QQBlue1

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:01 PM
Reaction score
Gentlemen - I have two questions:

1. I dropped the steering column on my 68 Charger and noticed this star-washer laying on the floorboard and I think it came down as a part of the grounding wire from the steering column to the plastic slide based on the picture below from a 72 Roadrunner. Am I right?

2. In the process of trying to figure out the location of the star washer but after I installed my new power steering box (from Steer and Gear) and AFTER i put my glasses on to look at the old one closely, I noticed the flat groove on the old steering box’s spline. I had to tap it / hammer the new one on and it looks secure but thought I’d ask if it is worth backing the couple off to realign it or would I just risk damage? Also, my steering wheel wasn’t clocked perfectly to begin with and it still isn’t but the wheels are currently straight according to my eyeball test.

Thank you.

IMG_0782.png

IMG_0780.jpeg

IMG_0781.jpeg

1. Those washers go on the studs that hold the “steering column plate” in that holds the steering column up.
2. I’d want to re-align the coupler. That might be why your steering wheel isn’t straight

That blind spline should be straight up. That way, the sector shaft is centred so you have the same amount of movement each way. Also, the "on-center" aid will now be functional to keep your car from wandering while driving straight ahead. There is also a blind spline at the steering wheel end of the shaft, so there is only one way to install the wheel.

Thanks for your help. It's all straightened out and the steering wheel is clocked in better than before I started. Now I'm off to the wiring . . .

And if your steering wheel is not perfectly straight, it is aligned with your tie rod adjusters.

Auto Transport Service
Back