• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1969 Charger motor prefix?

Bud69

Local time
8:29 PM
Reaction score
My 69 Superbee has a motor that supposedly came from a 69 Charger or at least what the owner was told that I bought it from had thought. The stamped motor prefix is just a single digit "B" and then the VIN. Is that a prefix for a charger?

...from a 69 Charger...single digit "B" and then the VIN.
The "B" in the engine VIN stamp is the code for the plant that the car was built at - Hamtramck. In front of the B should be a numeral to indicate the year; 9=69, 0=70... maybe faintly stamped? Might need to scrape paint.
They built Chargers at Hamtramck in '69, so it's certainly possible.

What size engine is this? - the year is stamped elsewhere, too.

Edit to add a side note: If it turned out to be a '70 engine, then it wouldn't have been from a Charger as they were all built in St. Louis ("G") in 70

Last edited:
There should be a number in front of the B. It should show something like 9B or 0B. You can also look on the pad at the front of the engine to look for an E or F. This will tell us for which model year the assembly was intended.

There are several people that track plant information. If it’s from a 69 you can post or send me the six digits of the VIn. I can probably tell you if it falls into a range of VINs assigned to Chargers.

If it’s from a 70, I’ll refer you to someone that can help for that year.

It's a 69 for sure and to the best I can tell I don't see any other digit in front of the B which is what surprised me because I was expecting something at least. My 440 69 motor has exactly what make it was from.

Best I can tell it's B 346134

IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_4336.jpg

IMG_4337.jpg

IMG_4338.jpg

....still around?
What size engine is this? We can complete the prospective VIN for search/publish purposes: X_29_9B346134
Have you found the "E(cu.in.)" on the upper engine pad? - a 1969 casting date is often insufficient.

B_engine.jpg
RB_engine.jpg

What size engine is this? We can complete the prospective VIN for search/publish purposes: X_29_9B346134
Have you found the "E(cu.in.)" on the upper engine pad? - a 1969 casting date is often insufficient.

View attachment 1719072View attachment 1719073
Sorry it's a 1969 383, confirmed. I don't have the block stamp on my phone currently but I know this for sure as it's a E 383.

...1969 383, confirmed.
R/P/HP on the pad? (2bbl vs. 4bbl / G vs. H)

Edit - Either:
XP29G9B346134
or
XP29H9B346134
was the car then.
A quick google was empty for both.

Last edited:
I don't see an R/P/HP/G or H Just the E383, maltese cross, and the 4 2 2

Auto Transport Service
Back