• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Coronet Pictures...deluxe,4dr,440,500,wagon,rag or R/T!

Sale

IMG_0750.jpeg

'70 CORONET SUPER BEE 2-DOOR HARDTOP: Light blue with blue vinyl
interior. 383 4-barrel engine, radio, power steering, automatic transmission, car- buretor fresh-air pack. New One of the "scat pack" cars. Stock No. 4247

LIST: $3,746

SAVE: $551

NOW: $3,195

Screenshot_20240608-082019~2.png

Richmond Times-Dispatch Sun, Aug 16, 1970 - Page 68 (Richmond, Virginia)

Choices, choices...

Screenshot_20240608-083259~3.png

Screenshot_20240608-083259~2.png

Richmond Times-Dispatch Fri, Jun 26, 1970 Page 29 (Richmond, Virginia)

I saw a wagon exactly like this one at the Central Alberta Mopar Association show in Red Deer last year...if not this exact one. Probably my favorite car at the meet! I'd love to have one as a daily driver...but I'll settle for my Magnum RT wagon.

dscn0588-jpg.jpg

The only 70 Coronet Convert I saw at Carlisle
20240712_162556.jpg
20240712_162643.jpg
20240712_163131.jpg
20240712_162547.jpg

I finally got a picture of the back of the deluxe tail panel but there are still more questions than answers.

Resized_1000002636.jpeg

Looks legit to me.
Same lights as 440/Bee but no metal trim.
Interesting that costly individual letters, that are not present on 440 and Bee were used instead.

I believe the lights on my Bee were blacked out on the large horizontal surfaces, basically all the way around.

Looks legit to me.
Same lights as 440/Bee but no metal trim.
Interesting that costly individual letters, that are not present on 440 and Bee were used instead.
Those letters are actually the same as the RT letters.

The big thing I do not understand is on my car there are holes along the bottom near the bumper area and for what I can tell in the picture that car has the same holes but yet there is no aluminum trim panel…

The big thing I do not understand is on my car there are holes along the bottom near the bumper area and for what I can tell in the picture that car has the same holes but yet there is no aluminum trim panel…

I don't see holes in that pic.

The fasteners for the 400/Bee trim are where the red area and outer edge are-

1724159823248.png

Those letters are actually the same as the RT letters.
Similar - but definitely not the same.
The letters on the R/T-500 panel are have very short mounting pins that are bucked down (crushed - like a machine rivet) to clinch them to the thin aluminum trim panel. This decorative panel assembly then sits tight to the body's structural, painted tail panel and there wouldn't be any room for nuts. The R/T or 500 emblems, themselves, also attach in this manner. I would guess the "Bee" emblem also attaches like this on the SuperBee trim.

On the Deluxe, there is no decorative panel at all, and the letters attach directly to the painted structural body panel. This panel is thicker, and bucking the pins in-place would be quite difficult/specialized. These letters therefore have the more common long tapered pins like most other common emblems and bezels - that you run a speed nut (presumably with the seal-snot) down onto to secure.

Assembled image from the parts manual for reference.
In addition to the call-out for nuts, note the part number for the 'center "D" ' - a newer series than the rest. For whatever reason, the first D couldn't simply be reused in the center position and a new D had to be made - my guess...pins had to be moved for some reason

FWIW
M

WL.jpg

Thanks it’s hard to imagine they made letters just for one line of cars ,you don’t see them for sale you barely see see the 500 or RT letters.Mine are missing and I have some 65 letters in place but the don’t line up correctly. I find the 70 coronet deluxe very facilitating they are rare and somewhat unusual being the base model and all and everything.

I've always thought it odd that Plymouth cars, specifically the 66 and 67, used considerably more individual parts and emblems than their Dodge stable mates, but were considered a less costly model.

Auto Transport Service
Back