• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 roadrunner 4 speed steering column lockout tab question.

superbirdtom

Local time
3:47 PM
Reaction score
so i rebuilt my steering column with the tab that sticks out that the reverse lockout linkage hooks up to----My question is when putting 4 speed in reverse is the tube that has the tab poking out supposed to move up and down?? or is it just a pivot point? if its supposed to move up an down well its not moving- then what would cause it to not move? - i cant remember if it moved when out of can a few months back- I have the lockout linkage not installed yet as I think the tab is supposed to move up an down . can anyone explain fully how the whole shebang is supposed to work. thank you

rotates to accomplish what?
The tab on the outer tube, inside the engine compartment, rotates & moves the “reverse lock” mechanism that is attached to the shifter linkage. When you put your 4 speed in reverse, the outer tube with the tab rotates in such a way as to lock the shifter linkage in reverse. The steering column also locks the steering wheel (70 is the first year). It’s an anti-theft device.
Now….mine hasn’t been installed in YEARS (header interference), so take all that with a grain of salt

The tab on the outer tube, inside the engine compartment, rotates & moves the “reverse lock” mechanism that is attached to the shifter linkage. When you put your 4 speed in reverse, the outer tube with the tab rotates in such a way as to lock the shifter linkage in reverse. The steering column also locks the steering wheel (70 is the first year). It’s an anti-theft device.
Now….mine hasn’t been installed in YEARS (header interference), so take all that with a grain of salt
ok great thats what i thought -well my tab wont move so its hanging up on something in the column Drat- and my key comes out and the steering wheel does not lock either - i wont install the lockout linkage yet until i get this figured out. I did complete nut an screw restoration - its been fightin me all the way- thanks for the info!!!!

Hmmm….maybe something is over tightened? If the tab under the hood (or inside collar) gets move one direction too far, the car won’t start or the key doesn’t come out or something? Mine has been wired to the frame to keep that from happening. Keep that in mind

Hmmm….maybe something is over tightened? If the tab under the hood (or inside collar) gets move one direction too far, the car won’t start or the key doesn’t come out or something? Mine has been wired to the frame to keep that from happening. Keep that in mind
mabe something is overtightened - that makes sense - car is all together w/o seats - i think ill untighten the column first and see if something is binding. thanks!!!

Now….mine hasn’t been installed in YEARS (header interference), so take all that with a grain of
You are correct......it was the first (and only year this was offered). Most of the time, the linkage is removed and discarded to allow for headers to be installed. My RS23V0A****** 1970 GTX still has this feature installed and totally functional (no headers only the CI manifolds). Subsequent years had an operator flip a lock ring on the column b4 the ignition switch could be placed in the lock position and the key removable.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back