• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Grille bracket plastic inserts

71Beeper

Local time
12:35 AM
Reaction score
Where do I go searching for the plastic insert that goes in this square hole?
And, what is it actually called?

1718296562548.png

71Beeper,
I am in the same dilemma. I attached pics of what they look like. You can see this one is in pretty bad shape I looked at Auveco and the clips and fasteners website under license plate fasteners but no luck.

Any suggestions out there?

Thanks,

GTX 440

20240616_193428.jpg

20240616_193454.jpg

20240616_193518.jpg

Here's what I ended up using. It has the same shape, just a thinner round part. I used some plastic/nylon washers to space it out to the same thickness. I also used a hacksaw blade to split the part that inserts into metal bracket. A new unsplit one is on the left in first photo. The second one from left in photo shows the square back split with saw blade. The second photo shows difference in round part thickness. The last shows the W&E the inserts came in. I had to buy a box of 50. May work for you.
Terry W.

Grille Insert 1.jpg

Grille Insert 2.jpg

Grille Insert 3.jpg

Thanks Terry - I will look into that.
I'm also going to have a look thru Spaenaur's catalogue to see if they have any.

How many do you need? I bought a whole box and only used a few. I have one more Charger to do. Looks like they carry the same thing I have. PM me.
Terry W.

Last edited:
I took the grille out of my 74 last night. It looks like the grille(s) uses 12 total (6 per side) for a 74. Let me know if I can help.
Terry W.

Hi Terry,
I had a look at mine now that I'm at the point of putting in the grille.
All of mine are there and look to be in good shape.
I asked the question just in case I was missing any.

Hi Terry,
I had a look at mine now that I'm at the point of putting in the grille.
All of mine are there and look to be in good shape.
I asked the question just in case I was missing any.
That's great. Maybe our info helped someone else.
Terry W.

Auto Transport Service
Back