• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 440 oil filter

Davison

Local time
8:53 PM
Reaction score
What are you using for oil filters for the 1972 440? I am using the Wix 51068 which is the long filter that is difficult to get out. Is anyone using a "shorty" filter? What's the opinion on the Wix?
Thanks for any input.

Wix 51068 is 4 5/16" long
Wix 51515 is 5 3/16 long
Wix 51521 is 3 3/4 long

I don't like short filters, why not us the longest one? A little harder to change, no big deal. How often are you changing the oil & filter?

Yes. ^^^ And, there's nothing difficult whatsoever about changing an oil filter on a BB.
Wrong.
If the car is a 1969 or older model and has a big sway bar and a power steering pump, it isn't that easy.
You can't get the filter out from underneath, the sway bar blocks the way. Removal from above? The steering pump is in the way as is the battery.
If you have an easy way, feel free to explain.

As KD said it's tight I remove PSP and battery. still easy to make a mess.

Wrong.
If the car is a 1969 or older model and has a big sway bar and a power steering pump, it isn't that easy.
You can't get the filter out from underneath, the sway bar blocks the way. Removal from above? The steering pump is in the way as is the battery.

As KD said it's tight I remove PSP and battery. still easy to make a mess.
Ok, if you guys consider that difficult, fine. I'd worked on many, many various vehicles back in the day, and 55 years since. And this is not something I consider anywhere close to difficult.

Yes. ^^^ And, there's nothing difficult whatsoever about changing an oil filter on a BB.
"Nothing...whatsoever" is the issue. It isn't a straight shot. I wouldn't call it a difficult or easy. I have 2 '70 Chargers with big blocks and huge front sway bars. The filter unscrews and is easily pulled out from underneath because the sway bar goes through the K member. About a year ago I did an oil change on this car...

IMG_3345.JPG

The big sway bar mounted forward of the K member blocked access. The battery and power steering pump required some arm twisting to reach and extract the filter. It wasn't like changing a starter in a car with headers but it wasn't a straight shot either.
Have you changed an oil filter on a 5.7 Hemi in a truck like this?

R2 9.JPG

It is a straight shot with zero obstructions.

"Nothing...whatsoever" is the issue. It isn't a straight shot. I wouldn't call it a difficult or easy. I have 2 '70 Chargers with big blocks and huge front sway bars. The filter unscrews and is easily pulled out from underneath because the sway bar goes through the K member. About a year ago I did an oil change on this car...

View attachment 1723826

The big sway bar mounted forward of the K member blocked access. The battery and power steering pump required some arm twisting to reach and extract the filter. It wasn't like changing a starter in a car with headers but it wasn't a straight shot either.

View attachment 1723827

You quote "wrong" as if you are the arbiter of the degree of difficulty in a particular procedure. Peoples definition of "difficult" are different. To me, there's nothing difficult whatsoever about changing an oil filter on a BB. That's my opinion. Access to remove an oil filter ( as I do on the shields of my modern hemi cars ) is not difficult to me... even to an old geezer like me. Some transaxle jobs, timing chains on DOHC engines, some #8 spark plugs on GM vehicles, and fitting aftermarket sheet metal, are off the top of my head, I'd considered difficult. If you think it's difficult, you're not "wrong", it's just the way you see it. Filters with zero obstructions are just more "convenient".

Last edited:
Now.. "difficult"... to me... is getting up after being in a prone position for a considerable amount of time, at my age ! Even a remarkable physical specimen as I may be ! Don't think any youngster would think that difficult whatsoever. :)

I just did an oil change on a 318 and had to use the small Wix filter, 51348XP, because with the angle adapter and 2 1/2" exhaust there is no room. I had a 68 Road Runner with 383 and don't remember having a problem with the filter, but that was over 50 years ago. I also have a 71 Cuda with Gen 2 Hemi and plenty of room, just don't like the oil all over the K frame.

Wrong.

I remove the 2 bolts that attach the sway bar to the k frame on the driver’s side, pull it down a little bit and the filter comes right out…

View attachment 1723826

View attachment 1723827

I have small hands for a guy, so I never had any difficulty doing a filter change on a GTX. After reading this, I can see where it would be a pain for many folks.

I remove the strut rod shields and pull the filter out thru there . Its makes a mess though

Wix 51068 is 4 5/16" long
Wix 51515 is 5 3/16 long
Wix 51521 is 3 3/4 long

I don't like short filters, why not us the longest one? A little harder to change, no big deal. How often are you changing the oil & filter?
I use either the 51515 or the 51521, I put less than a 1k miles on the car a year so using the short filter doesn't bother me, but the longer one does have more filter element. Before I put the car away, I change the oil and filter and use the short filter, drive it for about a month then change it again using the longer filter for the summer

I have a 383 in my 65 with a 22” rad.The long filters are pushed into my lower rad hose,I just got a couple short
Mopar Performance filters,supposed to have high burst strength.

I have been changing oil on a 1969 Charger RT 440 for 50 years now (purchased from my dad in 74) and it is easy as heck. The problem is once the filter is disconnected oil goes everywhere, I mean everywhere, have plenty of rags and an oil container handy. Once all the oil is drained from the filter (all over the K member) then you can maneuver it out. But keep a rag on the open end of the filter or you will have the filters remaining oil all over your hand, arm and the floor. That's the routine for 50 years unless someone has a better idea?

Front Driver Side.jpg

A piece of cardboard creased like this under the oil filter and long enough to clear the K frame will direct all the oil to your waste oil catch pan when you remove the filter

IMG_3549.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back