• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Roadrunner Clone

RickBost

Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
well I am not sure if I should start a build thread but I figured might as well jump in. As per normal I have a little time and even less money to build the car right now. I bought this car for 5k it is a bare bone satellite that has a 440 727 combo transplanted out of a new yorker. so no power anything, 4 wheel drums, 8 1/4 rear, so on and so forth. the ups are that i haven't found an rust yet however there is a tiny bit of body filler in the rear quarters so i have no idea what i will find under there. Over all the car is in decent condition.

At this point i have decided to get it drivable, in order to do that i need to rebuild the steering column. the bearings for the orignal 3 speed column are wore out and caused the locking colar to wear through the ignition switch so now it doesnt work. the PO through in a nice auto column but it is to short so i am guessing that it cam out of a power steering car. he also threw in another 8 1/4 axle a set of 73 charger dick brakes for the front ans edlebrock sp2p intake manifold. i ordered a set of steering column collars for a floor shift car and plan on using them when i rebuild the column since this car has a ratchet shifter. i also ordered a HEI distributor and accel afterburner coil. once i get her street worthy i plan on finishing the body work, since she is fairly straight i want to find paintable bumpers, airgrabber hood, front and rear spoilers, and a roadrunner/gtx grille. buy the way this is my first gas mopar build, or car ever and it happens to be my dream car kinda, well i am turning it into my dream car.

Looks like a great solid project Rick.. Im glad your including us in your build and looking forward to the updates, There is a lot of great people hear that can help you if needed and hopefully have some parts your looking for. Good luck in it!!

Your starting with a pretty solid car. These are getting harder to find now days. Good Luck. HowCo

Looks like a great place to start Rick. Real nice solid project. Hell of a lot better than most of the planetariums sitting off the side of the road around here. Best of luck on your resto.

that will make a great RR clone when you're finished.

so my car is running like crap... i decided i would vat the carb and see how that worked. went to NAPA to get a rebuild kit and the guy sells me kit for a 4237a and and i told him 4237b well it was the wrong one i didnt realise until after i opened the thing.... so no refund. i am tired of parts stores saying oh yeah that will work and it is the wrong part... So i put the carb a\back together with what i had and tuned it so it at least idles decently now but the ting sounds like it is missing on a cylinder. i tried pulling the spark plug wires but they all check out. so i pulled and cleaned the 7 spark plugs i could reach. now it ildes good but is still missing when reving up i havent even gotten it where i would trie and drive it. any ideas

have you checked the distributor and coil.You didn't say if it had been sitting for any time but it might need a good tune up.

yeah it has been sitting around for a while. i ordered a hei dizzy and a accel afterburner coil but they aint here yet, when they get i am going to go 8.8mm wires and iridium plugs... just waiting on parts

Sometimes revving it up some and spraying carb cleaner in it will help.. Done it many times, Your carb will draw it in some tiny orifices cleaning out some tarnish build up.. At least this is what ive been told and it has helped. Good idea to put carb cleaner in your tank to so it cleans your carb, keeps it clean, Replace your fuel filter would be a good thing.. Sitting, the old gas puts a film on everything, might just need run hard for a bit, kind of clean out the cobwebs! Good luck.

so i began installing the new dizzy and coil today... but was interrupted to be told that we are not allowed to work on our cars in the barracks parking-lot. so i only need to do the spark plug wires (which i bought universal wires so i have to cut them down to size), 5 more wire end connectors, an install the switch for the coil and i am done... but now i have to figure out how to get my car somewhere i can work on it.... the pain of the military.

ok here are the pix of the dizzy installed and the coil. as well as a relay that i am using to feed all the components. i figured the stock wiring harness wasnt designed to run all of this stuff. hopefully i didnt disconnect the voltage regulator.

Attachments

• IMAG0069.jpg
    IMAG0069.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 632
  • IMAG0070.jpg
    IMAG0070.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 605
  • IMAG0071.jpg
    IMAG0071.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 621
  • IMAG0072.jpg
    IMAG0072.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 609
wires look good and the dist too.Sucks you can't work on your car at the barracks.

so i installed the coil today... and it went up in smoke... i used a relay to hook it straight to the battery... i thought that this was a 12v coil... so i have no idea why it burned up any ideas???

if it is a universal coil do i need to run the balast resistor since i am running an hei dizzy?

got it running right and drove it to a friends house and ended up blowing a hole in the radiator. and always life throws you off i bought a new to me truck and now have a gallon and a half of plum purple so the car is now going to get that color
thanks for reading

yeah,that can happen when cars sit for awhile.We've all been there done that.Plum crazy also looks good on those bodies.

Well i just got another engine/tranny to build while i drive this one. the new engine/tranny combo is a 440 and 727 out of a 76 RV. i will get pix up as soon as i get a day off

Sounds like a good engine combo and i do agree, the plum purple will look good on this!

Auto Transport Service
Back