• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 out of 8 plugs fouled rich.

snake

Local time
10:50 AM
Reaction score
My 360 ran like a champ the last time she ran.i started her up for a minute on the week end normally I run it up to 2 grand for 3 minutes.i did not warm her up. Went last night to our cruise in as soon as it started I thought fouled plugs, so we went to our cruise yup something is not right,so I just pulled #4#3 rich fouled plugs.all others perfect. Any thoughts.

Any chance the plug wires were swapped? 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Plugs are ngk gr5 ,9 2 1 pistons.

Make sure the plug wires are not loose - you may need some di-electric grease inside each plug end to push them fully home.

OK will check I have replace the 2 plugs will know tomorrow going for another cruise in 30 miles away.thanks for the help.

your doing more harm than good starting it and running it for just a few minutes . it needs to come up to operating temp and run that way for a while. if your not going to drive it just leave it.

Like WileE said, observe the engine running when in the dark. Let your eyes adjust and look for hard arcs. You will see some but you're looking for trouble spots that should be relatively bright. You may have a plug arcing to the head where you can't see it. And stay clear from the engine when doing this!! Everything from a safe distance. Also, do not trust new parts. I have been burned more than once with coils, caps and wires. Double check everything.. Any pics of the plugs you pulled?

Hear are the 2 rich or what lol.

20240718_085756.jpg

I don't like the carbon spots on the cap is that normal

20240718_094038.jpg

20240718_094030.jpg

20240718_094059.jpg

I think your choke or choke pull off is not adjusted correctly.
The short starts are not helping.
What kind of carburetor?

If it''s a chyrsler electronic distributor you should take a look at the reluctor to pickup coil gap for each tooth.
perhaps the gap is varying and cylinders 4 and 3 are a bit off?

If it''s a chyrsler electronic distributor you should take a look at the reluctor to pickup coil gap for each tooth.
perhaps the gap is varying and cylinders 4 and 3 are a bit off?
Good advice

650 vs holley bought new 2 years ago,it has no choke.
With that much fluffy carbon on those plugs, and no choke you have a fuel leak inside carburetor. Power valve, float level wrong, cracked gasket. If they were sooty and wet I would be looking more toward ignition.
I would look first at float level. As much as I don't want to be that guy about ethanol fuels (I believe just drive it more and most of your "ethanol fuels problems" will disappear) the rubber tips on needles get hardened by ethanol in the gasoline. If you have adjustable on that Holley I would check levels first if it is way out of adjustment to make it have a correct level the needle/seat probably needs changed.

Last edited:
If the plugs weren’t firing you wouldn’t have the soot or caked up carbon. They would look like new.
If it’s wet/oily then it could be the valve seals it the car sits. Depends on the type of oil seals could be that they got hard/brittle. I don’t know the age of the setup.
If it’s carbon it’s fuel related. Weak spark could be an issue but always run to operating temperature before shutting down the engine.

That’s too much black deposit on the plugs sure. You replace them, run the engine and see if the engine runs well and progressively gets worse. That would tell you your ignition system is working but maybe weak or a larger issue like the valve stem seals. Again separate with or without oily mixture.

I do not see how this can be a carb problem when 6 out of 8 spark plugs are 'perfect'.
Clean the two spark plugs with Lacquer Thinners. Swap the two plugs with other cyls. If the problem moves with the plugs, then the plugs are likely faulty [ open cct resistor? ]. There are also fake NGK plugs being sold.

Auto Transport Service
Back