• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

273 Fuel Pump Failing?

65PlymSatellite

Local time
2:04 AM
Reaction score
Hell all, I’m wondering if anyone has seen this before. The fuel bubbles up inside the filter before the carb. I don’t remember this ever happening? Maybe I just never noticed? Also, I tried starting the car this morning, and the filter was completely empty. I haven’t driven it in about six days, and the filter never filled up while cranking. I filled the carb with gas with a bottle.

What do you guys think? It’s been over 100 degrees everyday in SoCal where I live.

Looks like your sucking air in,did you check the fuel line?

There is a rubber hose at the tank, check that.

The filter not full is quite normal, but all the bubbles entering ThThe filter are not.

How much fuel in the tank?

Also normal for the ethanol fuel to evaporate from the carb in 6 days

Probably no issue at all. First off, unless you are using that clear plastic filter for diagnosis only, get rid of it. Those can split and spew gas all over everywhere. They don't like the engine heat and get very brittle with a little age. Second, many old carbureted cars now days experience exactly what you are describing. Worse in higher temps. After shutting the hot engine off, the gas will boil and evaporate. That's why you have hard hot start issues and extended cranking to fill the carb up after you car sets for a few days to a few weeks. Higher quality gas helps but you don't have that luxury in Cali. Everything has ethanol added from what I understand. Check and replace all your lines you may suspect a leak and get rid of that filter. Here's a link that may help.

Another thing you might want to check is your oil level in case the diaphragm is starting to let go and leak into the engine. Usually they leak via the external weep hole on the pump but just something to check since you are checking things out. Hopefully it's just an old hose by the tank that is starting to develop hairline cracks. Something else to consider since it is so hot out is to wrap your metal fuel lines in the engine bay with heat wrap that is used on spark plug wires. I had a 75 Datsun 280Z that once it got hot outside and I shut it off it took forever to restart. The metal fuel lines were so hot I could not touch them. Once I wrapped the lines in the heat wrap the hot start problem went away and overall the car ran better.

There is a rubber hose at the tank, check that.

The filter not full is quite normal, but all the bubbles entering ThThe filter are not.

How much fuel in the tank?

Also normal for the ethanol fuel to evaporate from the carb in 6 days
Tank has about 1/2 a tank of CA 91 ethanol

Probably no issue at all. First off, unless you are using that clear plastic filter for diagnosis only, get rid of it. Those can split and spew gas all over everywhere. They don't like the engine heat and get very brittle with a little age. Second, many old carbureted cars now days experience exactly what you are describing. Worse in higher temps. After shutting the hot engine off, the gas will boil and evaporate. That's why you have hard hot start issues and extended cranking to fill the carb up after you car sets for a few days to a few weeks. Higher quality gas helps but you don't have that luxury in Cali. Everything has ethanol added from what I understand. Check and replace all your lines you may suspect a leak and get rid of that filter. Here's a link that may help.

[/URL]
Makes me want to fill up on some 100 ocatane. Stuff is $10 a gal here though!!

Thanks to everyone’s suggestions. It turned out to the fuel hose from the tank to the hardline. May be original to the car!

IMG_2532.jpeg

IMG_2533.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back